The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horse Started barking at a Cantor in August 2019, about four months ago after the first month I started her on sucralfate and Omeprazole. I stopped riding her and treated her for stomach and hind gut ulcers. She has finished several treatment for ulcers and is on ulcer prevention supplements.

While she is feeling much better after the ulcer medications she still bucks at the canter and it is almost continuous bucking.

What other reason could there be for her bucking? She is otherwise a very quiet horse. I am willing to look into any and all medical interventions Such as doing an ultrasound on her pelvic area. She is almost 5 years old.

I’m at my wit’s end.

·
Super Moderator
22,905 Posts
Hello,

I'm not sure if you mean she started bucking after you put her on the meds, or missing punctuation makes it read like that. If she's only been bucking since being on the meds, I'd look into that. Not that I've heard of that 'side effect' before...

Many physical probs can be behind bucking, including back probs like 'kissing spine', saddle fit or pressure points, neck pain, etc. And of course, mental causes, such as a fear response. And it may start as a physical or fear response, but continue in absence of that trigger if the behaviour/emotion has become associated with being ridden/saddled.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Have you tried cantoring her on a lunge line, with and without a saddle, to see if that makes any difference.

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes she canters fine on the lunch line. Today I’m going to ride her bareback and see how that goes.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Yes she canters fine on the lunch line. Today I’m going to ride her bareback and see how that goes.
Did you try her bareback? I hope you're still with us:smile:

If she bucked up with you on her, even without a saddle, my guess is there may be an issue with the vertebra.

My Arab was fine at a walk/trot but he would buck up when I asked for a cantor. He was a rescue so I never did know what caused the vertebra issues but it was a life-long issue for him. He eventually got to where cantering in the pasture included bucking up because he couldn't cantor and move his back end in a normal fashion.

Reactions: loosie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts