The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
Dusty, 12hh gelding
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've just got a couple of questions about paint horse colour variations.
Firstly, what is the techincal colour term for a grey and white paint horse? And secondly, what do you call the colouring of a cream and white paint horse? Thanks for your help!

· Super Moderator
17,197 Posts
Gray. Because gray will burn out the pigmentation the entire horse will eventually be covered in white and you will not see a pattern unless wet.

Palomino.

Paint colors are the same as any other horse. There are different patterns to the white and where it shows up. Look up Paint horse patterns or pinto horse patterns.

· Premium Member
Dusty, 12hh gelding
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gray. Because gray will burn out the pigmentation the entire horse will eventually be covered in white and you will not see a pattern unless wet.

Palomino.

Paint colors are the same as any other horse. There are different patterns to the white and where it shows up. Look up Paint horse patterns or pinto horse patterns.
Yeah okay, thanks.

· Registered
1 TB mare & 1 Arab x Stock Horse, both alpha mares (what fun :) ). Dolly's sweet & Aya's sour.
583 Posts
As QtrBel said, pinto horse's colour's are just the same as usual ones, with white over the top. And by the way, I'm not sure which you meant, but technicaly paint is a breed and pinto is a colour.

· Premium Member
Dusty, 12hh gelding
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As QtrBel said, pinto horse's colour's are just the same as usual ones, with white over the top. And by the way, I'm not sure which you meant, but technicaly paint is a breed and pinto is a colour.
I was referring to pintos.

· Registered
17,001 Posts
Hey everyone, I've just got a couple of questions about paint horse colour variations.
Firstly, what is the techincal colour term for a grey and white paint horse? And secondly, what do you call the colouring of a cream and white paint horse? Thanks for your help!
The 'cream' and white could be cremello or perlino, and might not show up against the white very much. It would depend on how much base pigment ended up showing. My Skippy has a blaze and socks, but his breeder thought he was solid cremello because he couldn't see them. You have to look pretty close and sometimes you won't see them unless the horse is wet.

· Banned
289 Posts
Firstly, what is the techincal colour term for a grey and white paint horse?
Fun fact - A common nickname for this coloration is a "Ghost Paint"! (Or Pinto. Paint is just a breed of horse with pinto coloring.)

They'll eventually turn all white thanks to the gray gene, but one cool thing about that gene is that the skin underneath the gray remains pigmented. The white patterning of the various pinto genes do not have pigment.

Get a gray wet and it's easy to see if they once had pinto markings or chrome, the fur may lie but the skin always tells the truth.

· Registered
1 TB mare & 1 Arab x Stock Horse, both alpha mares (what fun :) ). Dolly's sweet & Aya's sour.
583 Posts
Yes and you would also be correct in saying she's a palomino tobiano.
And if you wanted to get really technical, you could also note that she most likely carries sabino, judging by the large amount of white on her face.

· Premium Member
Dusty, 12hh gelding
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aren't pinto genetics fun? Add to that about the time you think you've learned a little bit they go and change things up on you. LOL
Haha I know right. It used to be all clear in my head (or so I thought) and then things got mixed up again and I just had to ask some questions. 😆

1 - 15 of 15 Posts