The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with the At gene, also called pangre that causes extra creme on a horse? I would like to see some pictures of horses with this gene.

I keep researching my filly. She is registered as a red dun and looks the part in the winter except very white belly and creme under the red. In summer she looks just like a buckskin. I have been told she is a wild bay.... which is pangre At gene
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I think you have been informed incorrectly. At is part of the agouti gene modifiers and creates brown. This does lighten the nose, belly and other soft points - but only on a black-based horse. The wild bay is a different modifier - but also part of the agouti series. Wild bay is denoted as A+ and it limited the bay markings to lower on the legs. Regular Agouti is of course bay.

Pangre (or mealy) is completely different - but the horse above is a perfect example. It lightens the nose and belly and other "soft points" on various colors when present. The one above is on a chestnut horse and combined with the flaxen makes it almost look palomino.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Wild Bay: (A+)

Brown: (At)

And compare those with the horse above who is pangare/mealy.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

To me wild bay the black points only extend just slightly above the pasterns (like the horse posted here) and not up to the knee. However there is no test yet, so we don't know the exact range of what the gene does.

I wouldn't consider the horse Cat posted to be a wild bay.

But as others have said At is brown and pangere lightens the belly and muzzle to a cream color. Would love to see summer and winter pics of your filly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how to post pictures on here no button to do so and a smart phone
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been told pangre or wild bay and one web site said they were the same.... she has a lot of white on her belly... the vet asked me if she was an appy because of the nickel size white spots on her chest

White hair on her belly.. she looks like the wild bay in cat's first picture in the summer except white stomach colors
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Her dam was a bay dun her sire a sorrel. I need to see more pics... sorrels are A+ carriers... he also carrier rabicano which my filly has (skunk tail)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Sorrels/chestnuts can carry any form of agouti (including a lack of agouti).

What websites are you using for your information?

To post pictures, try viewing the website full site and it will give you more posting options including posting pictures.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay after twenty minutes I got to this on full site. It wants an URL for my picture which in on my cell phone. Full site on small screen is driving me crazy and I am not smart so smart phone illierate

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Your horse is dun definitely not a red dun (chestnut + dun) I'm thinking maybe brown based agouti instead of bay agouti. But I'm not sure the lighting and angles aren't great.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.