The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that giving a sorrel horse paprika makes their coats even redder, and it is supposed to make black horses look blacker--kind of deepens coat colors, I guess. Does it make a noticeable difference? Have any of you used it or heard of it? If so, how much would you give a horse? I'm very curious about this as I would love to try it on my mare. :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes I've used it and it definately made a difference to my mares bright Bay coat. It is a swabbable substance though so if you are competing then you can't feed it.

No-one seems to be able to advise what the withholding period is. I used it for a few months towards the end of winter when her coat was developing for the summer

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's pretty interesting about it being illegal in competitions. I guess I don't show so it wouldn't matter, but that's good to know. I can see how consuming capsaicin could make a horse a little hot, but didn't realize that would work topically. Anyway, I'm just interested in making my horse's beautiful red coat even redder! If nobody else here has tried it, I might do a "before and after" next year and see if you can tell the difference!

Reactions: Lexiie

·
Registered
998 Posts
Horsecrazyteen - the capsacin in the paprika makes the skin more sensitive hence the reason it is not allowed for competition.

Feed 1 tablespoon daily and you will notice a difference. If you cover the horse too the sun doesn't fade the coat

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh. Interesting. I heard mayonnaise works too.
Really??? That's definitely interesting. Does is redden the coat, or keep it from bleaching out? And do you feed it to them or..umm...slather it on? Seems to me it would take an awful lot of mayo. LOL

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yes....this is my mare when she was on paprika this summer...

and this is her after being off of the Paprika, I ran out and forgot to order more. She was off for about 3 weeks.......

JJ on the Paprika....

JJ when I ran out of paprika same time frame as Polly.....

So yes in my experience it works.....

Reactions: HorseCrazyTeen

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Serious difference - off to buy Paprika again.

How much were you feeding them each day
I feed Polly 3 tablespoons and JJ 1-2 tablespoons
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
250 Posts
Huh. Interesting. I heard mayonnaise works too.
Mayonnaise is oil and eggs - both make the hair shinier, I guess that is why it works. I give underweight horses a cup of vegetable oil twice a day and beside them gaining weight they get a beautiful coat. Not sure if eggs are easily digested by horses, but I give egg yolks to cats and dogs that need something extra.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. Those are great examples BarrelRacingLvr! Thanks for posting them; they sure convinced me. Guess what my horse's next additive is going to be? lol.

By the way, how heavy is polly? My horse is 15hh and 970 pounds so I'm not sure how much is the right amount. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Wow. Those are great examples BarrelRacingLvr! Thanks for posting them; they sure convinced me. Guess what my horse's next additive is going to be? lol.

By the way, how heavy is polly? My horse is 15hh and 970 pounds so I'm not sure how much is the right amount. Thank you!
She pushes 16.3ish it has been forever since we measured her and it has slipped my mind. And I am not sure how much she weighs, but she is big boned and stout mare. I would do 1-2 tablespoons for yours, for Scrat who is 15.1 gets 1 scoop but he never really changes colors like the other two.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She pushes 16.3ish it has been forever since we measured her and it has slipped my mind. And I am not sure how much she weighs, but she is big boned and stout mare. I would do 1-2 tablespoons for yours, for Scrat who is 15.1 gets 1 scoop but he never really changes colors like the other two.
Thanks! You helped me a lot. I'll probably start giving her one tablespoon and see how it does. Thanks again for all of your replies!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks! You helped me a lot. I'll probably start giving her one tablespoon and see how it does. Thanks again for all of your replies!
Ya I weaned mine onto their amounts as well (forgot to mention that).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Darkens real good too. I made low carb cookies with about 1tbsp paprika per cookie. One cookie a day for my Perch/standardbred.

With...

Without

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
How hot does it make a horse......or should I say how sensitive does their skin get? Would love to do this with my guy....but he's pretty sensitive, would hate to get anymore sensitive:lol:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.