The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I’m new to this forum but I would like some advice on whether you think I’m ready to part loan a horse. My parents have agreed but I keep overthinking things. I would just like someone else’s opinion please.

I’m 13 and have been riding for just over 1 and a half years. I would like to part loan a horse so that I could be more involved in the care of it and be able to decide what I want to do that ride. I would still take some lessons on my part loan horse. I am quite a casu

I am able to walk, trot and canter and I have done a few small jumps (jumping isn’t really my thing though) I also love going on hacks but I have only hacked in a group. I know how to ride on roads too. I have helped out at my riding school on several occasions and know how to groom, tack up, untack, muck out, clean tack, and get on and start riding without help.

I would be looking for a part loan/share for 2-3 days a week on a slightly older horse that would be happy to go in the school and do some poles/flatwork and go on hacks too.

Please could you give your opinion on whether you think this is a good idea. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
12,915 Posts
If your parents have agreed then they need to sit down with your instructor and the barn owner to see how that would work where you are at.

Just because you have a lease doesn't mean you have the right to do what you wish when you wish. At 13 as a minor your parents would be responsible for whatever the lease entails financially. The lease will spell out what you are responsible for and how much riding you can do. It may even include that you remain in lessons and where or what type of riding done if not in lessons.

The instructor will have the best idea of whether you are ready and will know if there is an on site suitable lease available. If you are not part leasing a lesson horse then there are other factors to consider. Is the horse there at the barn or will you lease at one place and take lessons elsewhere if the lease is off site. Would you be allowed to trailer the horse in and if so who will be hauling the horse and how much will that cost? When you ride outside of lessons what are the barn rules for riding. As a minor they will be different than for an adult.

What type of schedule does the owner ride? Will your parents be responsible for vet, farrier or other care services? Is the horse at a full or self care barn and which of you will be responsible for care on days you ride?

So many questions...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You'll need a part loan agreement that covers your parent's and the riding school and/or other rider's responsibilities.

Given that it's a part loan, it should include a list of your share of the costs and care. It needs to say that the pony is appropiate for your level and healthy, and list any issues; give the location where the pony will be kept, who's allowed to ride it, when and for how long; say whether there's a preferred farrier and vet, and what happens if the pony can no longer be used, especially as it's older; list the tack used by the pony and say who owns any items your parents may buy; say if lessons are included, the length of time and number per week and if these impact on general riding; and insurance and what the pony is covered to do.

As for the passport, I'm guessing that the riding school will be the main carer for the pony but if you are allowed to take it off site on your own, then your parents will be legally responsible for its passport at some point.

There are loan agreements online, The BHS has a sample full version that could be adapted, though I've no doubt that the school will have an appropriate one avaliable, so your parents need to read it carefully and discuss it with the school before they sign.

Horse Loan Agreement & Advice | British Horse Society (BHS)

If they agree then I think you should have fun. At least you and your parents will have support if this is your first pony.

Reactions: Bettythepony

·
Read Only
180 Posts
Half leasing is a great idea! I agree with the posts above. A lot of things to think about. I personally half lease a pony named Betty. This is my experience (but could be completely different for you)

So how I found what horse to half lease was my instructor had been talking to me and my parents about if I wanted to take riding a little farther or just do it as a hobby and just ride lesson horses.It just so happened I had started riding this pony named Betty. I loved her so much! That’s when my instructor started talking to us about leasing/ half leasing (she knows owning is out of the question, financially for us) and which would be best for us. We finally decided to half lease Betty (my instructor thought it was a good match too) and for the past 3ish years it’s been amazing! Now I understand how lucky that was, that the horse was right at the barn and that we were (and are) a good match. So I’d ask your instructor first if any horses that would be good for you at your barn are up for half lease as that would be the easiest option. Maybe a horse you’re currently riding could be possible for you to half lease (it all depends on whoever owns it) But yeah, ask a lot of questions because the cost/what you need to do can vary a lot. My experience that could be very different than yours is I don’t have to pay for the vet/farrier or anything.

Every barn is different but for me on my free rides, I can’t jump and if there’s someone taking a lesson, then I have to give them the rail when possible and if I go on a trail ride, I have to go with someone else. I personally enjoy my lessons more because I don’t have to worry about what other people are doing (I still do just not quite as much) as much as they give me the rail when possible and look out for me (which I have to do for the lessoners when I’m free riding). Although it’s not hard to do that, it’s just easier not to I guess. But both lessoning and free riding is fun!

Anyways, that’s my experience and it could be very different for you but I thought it might help. And part leasing is a great way to become more experienced and to ride the same horse without having to own the horse. Just make sure you agree with the contract and all that is explained in the above post that I’m not too knowledgeable about. The most important thing for you is to make sure you like and feel comfortable on the horse and of course to have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts