The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So, hopefully next spring (2012), I will breed my Paso Fino mare, Dream. I will not be selling this foal, as Dream is my baby. So, I've been looking at studs for the past 4 odd years, planning for a foal.

So, here is some background on Dream:
14 hand, May 2003 model
Registered with PFHA
Solid chestnut with no white markings
I've owned her since she was born, so I know all her quirks
Video of her: 023-2.mp4 video by kamanut - Photobucket
Conformation video: 017-2.mp4 video by kamanut - Photobucket
Gaiting video from a long time ago: 82408dream034.mp4 video by kamanut - Photobucket
Photos: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/kamanut/231.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/kamanut/dream2.jpg

Good things about her: Nice hindquarters and conformationally correct, and athletic/game to try anything

Bad things about her: It was a challenge to train her...took awhile to gain her respect, but now that I have, she's the best horse. Her difficult temperament is due to being double Ladrillo bred, so I need to stay FAR away from a stallion with any Ladrillo. I would also like to get a stallion with nicer legs, as she toes out slightly in back.

What I'm looking for in a stallion: Fino stallion, short back, strong boned, willing and calm temperament (as calm as a stallion can get), athletic and with several foals with good conformation.

Some stallions I've got bookmarked:
Atomico Dos Mil Paso Fino Stallion
El Triunfo de La Amistad Paso Fino Stallion
Gitano de Mayo paso fino stallion
Zorro de Lago Paso Fino Stallion

I would have to use AI to breed, and I'm looking to go up to around $1200 for a stud fee, since I'm not looking to make any money from this breeding. I know the cost of breeding/having a foal, and I know there are many foals out there who need a good home (and I do fully plan on buying young horses in the future, but this foal is just for me).

So, you have up to $1200, now find me a stud that will complement my girl! :)

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Yay, another Paso Fino owner!!

One thing I noticed about her conformation-wise is that she has a bit of a long back for a gaited horse, so I would make sure the stud you choose has a correct, short back. From what's provided in the ads, I like the first and third. I can't see a decent confo shot of most of them, so it's hard to tell, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay, another Paso Fino owner!!

One thing I noticed about her conformation-wise is that she has a bit of a long back for a gaited horse, so I would make sure the stud you choose has a correct, short back. From what's provided in the ads, I like the first and third. I can't see a decent confo shot of most of them, so it's hard to tell, though.
Her back is ok for a Paso Fino, but in a foal, it would definitely be heading towards the too long side if I wasn't careful about the stud's back as well. This is why I'm looking for a fino horse, since they tend to have shorter backs.

Yeah, I would definitely need to see additional confo photos of those stallions, but they are just ones I looked at today, since I've pretty much decided to start fresh in the stallion search. So any new ones would be great!

Yay for another Paso lover! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see you like Plebeyo lines. :) We have a stallion that might be of interest. He is a Patrimonio del Ocho son by the name of 'Laberinto de la Luisa'. He is VERY conformationally correct and fino, with a nice steady temperament and great 'work ethic'. Of course I am biased, but he is... 'noble' is the best way I describe it. he's not at all studdy or aggressive, although he has brio under the saddle. A lady who bred her mare to Laberinto last year described him as the kind of horse that would rescue you from danger. I have Ladrillo mares myself and while they are very well gaited, they can be kind of... grumpy is the best way I can describe it LOL, so I like a friendly stallion. Our website if pasos4people(dot)com and you can see both Laberinto and a 2010 son of his (Orion) out there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I love the chestnut color on your mare! Very pretty! As for the stallions you listed I agree with equiniphile I like the 1st and the 3rd. But I also like this guy:
His chestnut coloring is SO pretty! And you'd get a really pretty baby!
Yumuri

·
Registered
3 Posts
JerBear, thank you for posting Curandero.. We are very proud of him and his get. He is however not fino, none of our stallions are. We specialize in pleasure mostly, but also have a performance stallion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fino is the very tightest show gait, short stride with slow forward speed.
Only a small percentage of the breed perform the highest degree of fino.

the other 2 speeds of the gait are corto (speed of trot) and largo (ground covering stride equal to extended trot or canter +).

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

the other 2 speeds of the gait are corto (speed of trot) and largo (ground covering stride equal to extended trot or canter +).

oops posted at the same time. I GUESSED RIGHT!!! WOOT GO ME!

·
Registered
178 Posts

Wow so they are classified kind of a separate breed because of their gait? Weird.... Never knew that. :) Well I guess you learn something everyday! I dont know much about the gaited breeds....:-|

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are still the same breed of course, but just as the QH has different "types" (pleasure, running, working etc) we have types and lines that are best suited for and bred for specific disciplines and/or classes within the breed.

While many people ride their fino horses on the beach or on trails, typically they would not be the same type of pleasure or trail horse that the longer strided horses.

The gaits have the same sequence of footfall but the length of stride and forward speed is different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's kind of like the difference between Arabian pleasure and park horses -- same breed, different way of going. Paso Fino classes are divided by modality (among other things) with classes for Pleasure, Performance and Fino. PintoPaso is right, the fino modality Paso Finos are the short-strided horses, highly prized in Colombia, but not what you want for going down the trail (unless you are reaaaaaly into taking your time and looking at your surroundings LOL)

I think the OP was looking specifically for a fino stud, which is why people were recommending those.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow lots of posts since I was last on here. Yes, I am looking for fino lines, as my mare is more of a pleasure mare, and I've been told that a fino stallion will balance her out foal-wise. She also has a longer back, whereas fino horses tend to be shorter backed.

Thanks to those of you who have mentioned other stallions...just what I was looking for! I have looked at Corito de Vez, but since he's not fino, he's no longer on the list. He's a nice Paso though!

And yeah...those Ladrillo lines are grumpy!! She's not necessarily grumpy, but she doesn't like to show affection much, although she follows my dad around at home and will leave her food to come pay him a visit--he loves her so much. But training wise, she was pretty stubborn and hard headed. Her dam was the same way, but the nice thing about these horses is that once they are broke/trained, they stay that way and they are very safe. Hopefully that part will get passed on to the foal, but not the stubbornness!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.