Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help With Haybelly

My gelding came off of a meat truck and never really got the proper care to get back to where he should be for his age. Now he's 10 and has a hay belly and is ribby at the same time. He's not on pasture and gets 3 flakes of hay in the am and pm. He also gets a quart of Purina Enrich 32 in the am and pm as well. He's up to date on worming and shots. Not sure what to do. Hws currently not being exercised and won't be for the next 5+ months as I was in an accident and cannot ride (doctors orders). Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Hi,

He should be getting free choice or at least(if he needs weight) 2.5% bwt daily in forage/hay. It's also important he doesn't go hungry for periods of time, so if he eats that much in a short time, put it in a slow feed net or such, to make it last.

Might be a good idea to do a worm count & ask the vet to suggest the best treatment for worming again, because while you've said he's been wormed, it isn't always effective. High starch diet can also give a horse a 'hay belly', as acidosis can produce excess gas.

Purina Enrich is a 'ration Balancer' that is low calorie, designed for 'easy keepers', which may not be the best option for your horse. I don't know much else about it - they don't do fixed ingreds or tell what they are.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Blind deworm or fecal + conprehensive attack?

Had a horse here, 7 years old, never gained weight, suddenly seriously sick. Had been dewormed (blind) 3 times in the many months since his arrival. Had only ever been hit with one kind of med and was completely resistant. Brought a delightful superworm to our place. :/
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.