Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIZE QUESTIONS
Okay, so I need the size minimum for two horses/ponies. We only have so much room, if its possible, please describe it in square feet, or the metric system, and their dimensions (LxW) and how big should the field shelter be?

DUST CONTROL
So I know, three things to control the dust intake in equine: pine bedding, keep an open window in the stable, and soak the hay for a couple minutes before feeding. Anything else?

PASTURE
I made some animal-safe weed killer (thanks to a member here :)) so I can spray any poisonous plants over time, before we get the ponies and kill them. We have some Home Depots near us, and there is some mesh for livestock pastures when you search 'horse fence', which one would you recommend? (Please provide link or name) lastly, how many times should you muck out the whole field? (Again, the size minimum for two horses)

Thank you! :hug::happydance:

·
Registered
427 Posts
For the stalls I'd need to know the size of the horses, because obviously you cant put a massive warm blood in a 10x10. 12'x12' seems to be the average size for a horse stall (though it depends how long the horse is in it, id make it a tad bigger) For a run in take the height of the tallest horse (at the head) and then add 2 feet and that can be the roof height. Make it maybe 15'x15'. In the barn what we used to do (it was super dusty fromm hay) once every 2 weeks wed put a blob of pine oil in a watering can and fil it with water and "water" the ground with it (nothing the horses ate) and that kept the dust and smell down. For 2 horses maybe 3 acres for a full turnout paddock. Muck it out when you see fit, if its big enough you can leave it to decompose because its spread out, but if its smaller maybe once a month or so.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much is 3 acres?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
A square enclosing one acre is approximately 69.57 yards, or 208 feet 9 inches (63.63 metres) on a side.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
It would be easier to answer with more info.are you fencing 3 acres ? You would want no climb horse fence, if your horses dont get into the fence then you can use field fence any livestock supply co , and maybe home depot has the field fence. Dust either water it down or plant pasture . Dirt + horses = dust.
If you are just fencing the 3 acres , and it is a dirt lot, then just disc in the manure a couple times a year or once a year . If you are making smaller pens for example a 30' x 60' then the longest i would go without cleaning would be a week . every other day would be good.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
The no climb "horse fence" at home depot is typical field fencing and is fine. Most people use 5' high fencing and you still want to run a strand of electric along the top or they will always be leaning on/over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be housing 2 horses...
Climb fencing? What's that?

O,O so much I don't know! My mom just said we also might have another two horses (not ponies like ours) coming in.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I will be housing 2 horses...
Climb fencing? What's that?

O,O so much I don't know! My mom just said we also might have another two horses (not ponies like ours) coming in.
Basically "No climb" fence just has holes small enough (usually 2"x4") that a horse can't get a hoof in there and "step up".
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
so is this supposed to be a pasture or a dry lot? If its a pasture, 4 horses on 3 acres will turn the entire thing into a dry lot very quickly.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
so is this supposed to be a pasture or a dry lot? If its a pasture, 4 horses on 3 acres will turn the entire thing into a dry lot very quickly.
1) With 4 horses, always have free choice hay, e.g. a roundbale. It will save your pasture from turning into mud.
2) Some grasses are much more tolerant of foot traffic and short grazing. Around here, 4 horses on 3 acres of fescue w/hay is no problem at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will have a supply of hay, and yeah the grass here is really strong and even if it goes out, it grows back in a couple days or so. I think we will split the horses up into two different pastures (and possibly a smaller third one just in case) but we probably will just go with owning a pony and the boarder pony. At least for the most part.

Reactions: stevenson

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.. I'm guessing that we need at least 1.5 acres

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
~80 meters on each side, correct me if I'm wrong, to house two horses

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Always keep in mind that the horse and pony have room to run should a couple of dogs show up and go after them. 80 x 80 meters will do two. In spring as the ground thaws you'll need a smaller area to contain the horses otherwise their hooves will chew up the ground. I'm on clay so I know how that works. When the existing manure is thawing that is a good time to haul a drag behind an atv if you have one. A good drag is a old box spring with the cover burned off. The metal bracing across the bottom does a good job of scattering the manure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe we should have a gate that we can block off part of the field in the spring? Or should we just have another place completely

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have an awkward place that is reserved for a pasture...
Is it okay if I try fitting in a 70x50 rectangle, with a lot of different sized rectangles and things that lead off it, possibly making a bit more than 1.5 acres?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yes that should work - from the horse's perspective more is always better. There's no rule that a pasture (or corral) has to be a perfect rectangle or square in shape - most people build them that way as that's the most efficient way to put up fencing. The only thing you would need to watch out for doing it this way is that you don't create areas that would act as a trap and keep a horse from being able to get away if it was bullied by the other horses.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually there's a huge clearing right beside our (old) barn, I think that it would be much better to put the pasture there. We would just need to go out there and put gopher traps and fill in the holes and let them set before anything- it's a good thing that my brother likes doing that. I'm not sure if I have mentioned this but there's an awesome lesson pony at my stables, and I have ridden her for a whole and we have a strong bond. I told my mom that when it comes time to get a horse, I would like to get her, as she has the bes bond we me and we are most alike. She doesn't respond to many people which would be good because I would be basically the only one riding, plus she likes going at a slow pace which is perfect because although I can canter, I prefer to go a sitting slow trot or a walk. My papa says he will be putting up electric fencing, should I be doing a lot more research throughout these months to prepare, so in case my papa wants to get her late next year or summer of 2015 I can be prepared? I need to figure out all the information from this site and put it in my digital book that has everything on this journey. Since I am quite familiar with her, I know some of the things about her and such, I know that contributes a lot to what she needs in terms of food, tack and shoes and when she should be groomed. She would eat for hours so she will cut down a lot of grass so ill need a separate space for resting the pasture. Maybe having 3 acres if possible? (160mx160m) and splitting it in the middle so we can alternate, with two horses. In the spring should I just keep them in the pasture they weren't in in the winter? How long should I wait before alternating if there's two horses on 1.5 acres, or should I just have one large 2 or 3 acre area? To me 2.5 sounds like a decent size.. Wait. Now retreading it... 160x160 is just two acres? Darn! Ok then maybe just a smaller space somewhere else for the spring.. Or should just the 2 acres do? Or 2.5, AHHH!! This is just so confusing

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Always keep in mind that the horse and pony have room to run should a couple of dogs show up and go after them. 80 x 80 meters will do two. In spring as the ground thaws you'll need a smaller area to contain the horses otherwise their hooves will chew up the ground. I'm on clay so I know how that works. When the existing manure is thawing that is a good time to haul a drag behind an atv if you have one. A good drag is a old box spring with the cover burned off. The metal bracing across the bottom does a good job of scattering the manure.
Yes that should work - from the horse's perspective more is always better. There's no rule that a pasture (or corral) has to be a perfect rectangle or square in shape - most people build them that way as that's the most efficient way to put up fencing. The only thing you would need to watch out for doing it this way is that you don't create areas that would act as a trap and keep a horse from being able to get away if it was bullied by the other horses.
Is 1.7 acres okay?:oops:
Maybe just keep the 80x80 but turn it into 90x90? Somehow I was trying to get a bigger area- and was probably doing it all wrong- but I did 180 meters x 180 and it was 1.7 acres when the 80x80 was 1.5

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.