The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I go on my 2nd year of owning Peaches (I leased her 4 years prior), we've figured out a lot about her (Now that we were able to get her to the vet and such under our jurisdiction). She is around 20 years old and things are getting tough on her. So, this is gonna be our last year of drill and gaming. Afterwards, we're not quite sure what's gonna happen (besides me keeping her of course). I don't have a property of my own and board is $400 where I am at currently (That's about average for full care), however we're looking at doing pasture board for $150. I want to continue being competitive but Peaches needs to retire, and I respect that. I don't have another $400 a month to spare for another horse, not counting the initial price of the horse (as that's one of the cheapest things you'll buy). I'm thinking about leasing Peaches out to a little girl or boy for performance/pleasure as this is what peaches was originally trained to do to put in for the board. I'm entirely stressed by the situation on what needs to be done. Any advice on how to handle a situation?

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Word of mouth is my favorite way to find new owners, or people to lease. Any chance of you finding someone that way?

And where I live and work we have a brand registry. Every time a horse sells it has to be brand inspected. The plus side being, that if I loan a horse to someone they would never be able to sell it as they would not have an inspection with my signature on it. No proof of ownership.

Do you have that?

·
Registered
263 Posts
it sounds like you have a great idea so far! i really like the fact that you want to keep your horse in some work even after shes "retired". i would see if anyone at your barn is looking to lease - if there is a trainer, then maybe one of her students? or even a friend or child of a boarder or the barn owner? if not, then you can start looking outside of your barn. word of mouth is always the best option. i would also post something on a local facebook group page or craigslist or something. i would suggest doing an on farm lease, that way then you can still keep an eye on what is going on. if you do an off farm lease, then make sure its close enough so you can keep an eye on the horse. also, if its a younger child, you may want to help them with there "new" horse, or have them under your barn owner or trainers supervision.

as far as expenses go, that really depends on the situation. if they are doing a full lease, they pay everything - board, farrier, and general vet expenses. if its just a half lease, then they should pay half of board and maybe half of farrier, but thats as far as i would go. also, if its a half lease, i would expect them to use your things (unless if they already have a saddle and stuff that properly fits your horse). if its a full lease, they or you can decide to get there own things for the horse or not. if it is off farm, they are expected to pay everything and buy there own things.

make sure you have a solid contract that is read and understood by both or all parties involved. they do have some good examples online of what the contracts should include.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to look into branding for my state. Thank you all. You've all been a great help. I really needed reassurance on my plan.
I will definitely be keeping an eye on my leaser and show then proper ques. I guess it'd be like a mentor thing. I'm also planning on keeping her close by, I've heard a lot of bad stories and I do not want to be one of them.
She'd most likely prefer to eat all day and be left alone but she also loves the feeling of having a person and sharing happy moments.
Could y'all link me to this "World of Mouth"?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could y'all link me to this "World of Mouth"?[/QUOTE said:
just talk to anyone you know! barn owners, trainers, horse friends, your vet, farrier, anyone! tell them your interested in leasing your horse out and if they know of anyone that may be interested! vet and farriers go to all different barns, so they can always just ask around too if they dont know of anyone specific, but another barn owner or one of there other clients might be interested or know of someone that is. they can also keep an eye out for you on a horse for sale that would work for you as well!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I definitely say speak to people who may have a connection that would be a suitable lessee.

Next year I'll be in a similar situation. We bought DD's pony at 23, she gave DD 3 amazing years but this past summer DD wanted to kick on and I didn't think it fair on her old legs to do more than what she was doing. Now she is being used on the lead for DS to walk on the leadline every few weeks, normally bareback as his attention span lasts about 3 minutes.

We plan to emigrate next year (once all the paperwork comes through, could be later), and while I know DD's newer pony is sellable, I know that a then 27 pony isn't and my main concern is she goes somewhere she is loved. I couldn't give her away to somebody I don't know as I'd be worried about what would happen to her. I'm in touch with the woman who actually bred her and we have discussed sending her there when the time comes to live out her life. Truth be told, I would rather put her to sleep before we go than let a random person take her.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Could y'all explain to me the different leases that are available. What is care lease?
A lease can be anything that the two parties agree on. What I usually see is the leasee taking on all the cost of board and routine vet and farrier care. Depending on the horse, some owners ask a small lease fee, others do not. The owner certainly has the right to approve where the horse will be kept, what type of riding can be done, and any other particulars.

·
Registered
48,600 Posts
is "word of mouth" an expression that young folks do not use anymore, so they don't understand the meaning? sorry, not trying to derail the thread, just amused by the "link me to this " part.

what little girl or boy would not want a horse named "Peaches"?

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Whatever kind of lease you may do, put it in writing and get the lessee to sign it. Seems like every other day I read about leases gone bad -- can't get the horse back, horse mistreatment, lessee sells the horse to a third party and then disappears, you name it. Put the whole agreement in a contract and then make sure to keep regular tabs on your horse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is "word of mouth" an expression that young folks do not use anymore, so they don't understand the meaning? sorry, not trying to derail the thread, just amused by the "link me to this " part.

what little girl or boy would not want a horse named "Peaches"?
I guess it's not a term we use frequently around my area, I have not even heard the "wise" older cowboys use it, so I figured it must be site. Ignorance on my part. Haha, I know right? She lives up to her name but can also turn a bit rotten here and there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts