The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rainrot!! There is a horse we have just recently gone to look at, and he is pretty close to perfect. He is a four year old TB that trained for the track, but never raced. He has the most wonderful disposition, rides beautifully undersaddle, and is learning to jump, which is exactly what we wanted. On top of all of that, he is pitch black in the summer (as we are told,) and his name is Cowboy, which is the name of the horse that taught me how to jump years and years ago. (R.I.P)

The only issue is he has Rainrot. It is all over his rump, and down his back legs. I have never dealt with Rainrot before, and have no clue how to work with it. The lady that owns him now said that she just bathes him with Iodine shampoo (which we already have) but that it was going down more slowly. Is there anything more I can do? I have heard of Vitamin A, and I think MSG, but I really don't know what those are, or how to use them. Someone please help!! Also, this may be a stupid question, but Rainrot isn't contagious, is it? I have 3 other horses, and I don't want to have a mass problem. I don't suppose it is, because the lady selling is a lesson barn, so...? But still...

Thank You!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WickedNag - Just pour it straight on? Wash him with it? Any certain color? Leave it on? Rinse it off? Dillute it with water, or straight up? Sorry, I just want to get rid of the stuff, and I want to keep it painless and safe :) I know we pour blue listerine on our manure pile to decrease the fly population ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RoosHuman - What is MTG? What does it stand for? How do I get it? Sorry about me being completely stupid, I just have never dealt with this :( I brush my horses and clean thier feet every single day, and they have blankets on in the gross weather, so they are super clean and rainrot-free.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've used listerine too. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it directly on, wait about 10 minutes then give an iodine bath. MTG works okay, but some horses have a reaction to it and it can make matters worse so I would test an unaffected spot first to make sure the horse isn't allergic to it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone!! I will probably do the Listerene-Spray-Bottle trick if I get Cowboy. Thank You!!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
RoosHuman - What is MTG? What does it stand for? How do I get it? Sorry about me being completely stupid, I just have never dealt with this :( I brush my horses and clean thier feet every single day, and they have blankets on in the gross weather, so they are super clean and rainrot-free.
It promotes hair growth and helps rain rot, Mane tail groom, get at tractor supply, fleet farm, online
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cinny - Thank you :) I'd hate to burn the poor boy!! ... or damage his pretty coat :p

Lucky - Thanks also ;) I might use the Gold Listerene for this, but I might use it for the mane/tail! We have local TSCs all over, so that would be easy ;)

Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Interesting, never heard of the Listerene approach, but that makes sense I guess.
I've had excellent results with MTG though. My girl got a bad case of rain rot on her rump too, and that cleared it right up.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I use MTG with great success also! In the past I have washed them in iodine shampoo and then if the rainrot was not ready to shed off the old dead skin, I would apply desitin diaper rash cream liberally to the area. Healed the skin and helped to make the old dead stuff come off, but it did make the hair all sticky and nasty till you could wash the horse again.
As someone else said, test the mtg somewhere not noticeable, some horses are allergic to it. One member on here had her friesians tail fall out completely from using it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What I do is take a sponge, get some warm water and some soap (any kind) and wash the rain rot. Then pick the scabs off (the water helps soften them, and makes it less painful) then pour a little bit of iodine on it. I did this about once a week and it was gone in about 2 weeks. Cowboy had it on his front left leg, then somehow in his nostril. I didn't put iodine on his nose those, and just kept it clean.

And yes, rainrot will spread. Just keep him seperate for like a week or two! Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
We mixed a combination of tee tree oil, mineral oil and iodine. It worked beautifully and in less than 2 weeks, severe cases of rain rot were gone. Hair just needed to regrow.

Reactions: Skyseternalangel

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I use equi-fix on my boys rainrot. He's quite prone to it on his face and legs, the rest of his body is covered for that exact reason.
Just keep it clean and apply some sort of cream, possibly one that has emu-oil in it.. The equifix for me works wonders, a week before our first show he managed to find something in his paddock and skinned his leg.. Here's me panicking, but then used the equifix once a day for that week and by show day it was covered in hair again so much that only if you looked closely could you tell he had scraped himself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My horse just had rain rot and I had her on antibiotics and a shampoo for a week and it is clearing up very fast. The hair is starting to come in slowly :)

Rain rot isn't a huge deal, if you love this horse then I think you should consider helping him get better and then you will have the horse that you wanted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have also used the original Listerine. I just poured straight on from the bottle and let it dry. One or two doses a few days apart was usually enough to take care of it. If the horse was completely covered I would mix half and half to cover more area and it still worked fine. The horses had a nice clean smell afterward too.

Now that I feed a vitamin/mineral supplement that has high doses of vitamin A I don't have that problem (or any other skin problem) anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.