The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I recently (several months ago) interviewed at a place where the owner was like this. She had just opened a new boarding facility which is absolutely beautiful. I wanted a part time job there, and after she offered me the job I inquired about boarding my own horses there once I acquired them. She said that she would not have staff interacting with boarders, so I could not board there. I declined the job. I see the ad for that same job posted every two weeks or so because she cannot keep staff whether it is barn staff, office, or trainers.

I say move if you can.
Can't have staff interacting with boarders? Do the staff have to bow to the boarders too? What an archaic attitude! When I was a child/teen I had to work at the barns to help pay for my horses' keep, and that was half a century ago!

Around here if boarders don't help out around the place, they are asked to move...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can't have staff interacting with boarders? Do the staff have to bow to the boarders too? What an archaic attitude! When I was a child/teen I had to work at the barns to help pay for my horses' keep, and that was half a century ago!

Around here if boarders don't help out around the place, they are asked to move...
I actually am boarding for the first time ever, and it's not full board which I actually like because I like doing barn chores. I think if you're paying for a service at a barn then you should get the service you pay for. My BO feeds morning and night. He makes sure that the auto waterers are functioning properly and checks on them for us. That's it.

I do ask my BO questions as he did have horses for over sixty years and is a wealth of information. Plus, he's older and I get the feeling he's lonely so we chat from time to time.

I would tell the BO at the OP's barn that I want the services I pay for, nothing more and nothing less. Particularly the input of the BO on what to do with MY horse.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I actually am boarding for the first time ever, and it's not full board which I actually like because I like doing barn chores. I think if you're paying for a service at a barn then you should get the service you pay for. My BO feeds morning and night. He makes sure that the auto waterers are functioning properly and checks on them for us. That's it.

I do ask my BO questions as he did have horses for over sixty years and is a wealth of information. Plus, he's older and I get the feeling he's lonely so we chat from time to time.

I would tell the BO at the OP's barn that I want the services I pay for, nothing more and nothing less. Particularly the input of the BO on what to do with MY horse.
Folks around here don't have money for high dollar fancy boarding places. So everyone has to help out in some way. How else can places stay open charging $75 (pasture no feed) to $325 (stall and pasture two feedings per day) per month if everyone didn't help in some way?

Most have paid help too, but not always. A lot of owners here do much of the work themselves.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.