The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to the site. I am in the process of purchasing my first OTTB. I have been training in eventing for years and my last horse, a saddlebred, died 11 years ago.

So, Leonne is amazing!! She is smart and excited to learn. I do ride with a trainer, but as I am spending all of my extra money on her and a great saddle for her. Additionally, my trainer is getting ready to go to Ocala for almost two months, so her beginning training will be on me. My barn family is amazing and so great helping me out, but the well-trained riders are also going to Ocala, and our barn manager trains very very rough and I don't want that for my girl. So, I don't want to train bad habits into her. I have read that it's important to start lunging. I work with her on lunging but she cuts the circle short. I would love any and all advice on training and how to start my girl. Right now she and I are working on what my trainer has taught us in the two lessons I have had since I got her. steady even trot and gradually getting her head to lower. Again, I would love any and all training advice. In addition, I would love any articles and/or books you may have read which help with learning body mechanics and training procedures. I am a huge nerd and learning the process that way helps me.

Also, to add, I know you have to be strong with a horse. They are huge and if they don't realize we are the boss, they could kill us. To some people, necessary toughness may seem overboard, I am not one of those people. When I say very very rough, I mean that which I would not wish on any horse. Even though she loves her horses, she was taught too rough and that is why I really don't want much help from my barn manager.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
What kind of information are you really needing. When you bought her what has her history and training been?

For a basic run down, basic exercises for improving the system of aids and understanding between horse and rider

I think the explanations from this rider/trainer are some of the better ones I've seen online.

https://youtu.be/5Fb4LzViSjw

I think reading can be good and to get an idea but also do not hold to an unrealistic standard or ideal. Something which exists in ideology seldom exists in reality. I think we have to be realistic about development and progress and understand where we start isn't where we end. I think sometimes people try to use book knowledge to replace experience, it doesn't work. It's good to reference but stay open to real life. Situations vary and horse to horse they vary. There isn't a one size fits all approach or way to do things, there are many right ways to the goal and many wrong ones.

I find people often hold to an unrealistic ideal and path that they expect every horse to follow and the reality is different horses provide different challenges and need a different course of training. But that's real world training and developing horses vs ideals and imagination. I think with more experience we move more into the real world and away from ideals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts