The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have permission to ride on the neighbors' properties where they have nicely groomed trails. I want to be considerate and not let my horses leave piles of manure on the trail because they mow them so if they hit the poop, well, you know what will be hitting the fan. Or the mower blades anyway. They have not asked me to do this, but I feel like it's the right thing to do. They won't care about some poop in the woods so I just need to have a way to move it off to the side of the trail into the woods. Suggestions? I was thinking of carrying like a gardening claw or something, but it doesn't seem practical or really, very safe to carry something with metal prongs in my saddle bag or on myself while riding.

What do others do?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
We have tried (with pretty good success) to teach our horses to leave the mowed or groomed trails to pee or poop. My horse actually taught my daughters horse how to do this. It makes the trails cleaner and in most cases the horse can just get to the side of the trail and do their business without harm

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
We used to ride on trails shared by bikers where signs instructed horse riders to remove any manure from the trail.

Our horse's are pretty obliging about being ridden to the side of the trail to poop so it was rarely a problem but the few times where we failed or couldn't easily get off the track, one of us dismounted and kicked the pile off the track. Wipe your boot off in the grass or dirt if needed.

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have tried (with pretty good success) to teach our horses to leave the mowed or groomed trails to pee or poop. My horse actually taught my daughters horse how to do this. It makes the trails cleaner and in most cases the horse can just get to the side of the trail and do their business without harm
You're my hero. This is by far the best solution which I will try to implement.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
We have permission from neighbours to ride on their property and if it is an area where they walk I will get off and kick the manure to the side, just have to remember to wear old boots. Further back where people usually aren't around we try to get the horse to move to the side.
We are lucky to have these trails available to us and don't want to abuse the privilege, if it is in their driveway or close to the house I will drive back later and remove the poop.
I guess as others say, ask the folks how they feel about it and go from there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You're my hero. This is by far the best solution which I will try to implement.
When I rode Mounted Patrol, it was for a pretty high end suburb of Houston and the elite residents didn’t want to see horse poop…the horror!!! We basically potty-trained our horses to only go in select wooded areas which were hidden from public view. That was about ten years ago and Skip STILL remembers that and will go to a less public place to go. If I tap him right above his tail, he knows we’re not in a spot he can go and to wait until we get to one. Pretty funny that he still remembers it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Man.. this is so considerate. I have been on a few rides recently, on a friends horse though, where we've been forced onto sidewalks coz of insane traffic and drivers (like barely a meter across coz old part of city) and the horses have had the squits right there. In front of peoples walkways. It's not even shovable or kickable even if we did get off. So god bless you. We quickly trotted our escape and pray no one recognises me from the neighbourhood 😭 :poop:😅 The ladies I go with with decades under their belt gave me this advice: "tell em you had to dodge a nutty driver the horse [email protected] itself with fear, literally!" I reckon the fact they are nice enough to let you means they are well aware of the risk. I can't imagine how the odd poo here and there would affect them that much. Not as if you're riding a string over it! I look forward to fancy new trail pictures :p I think I'll try train Katie as well but she's a good girl usually and quite private.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's pretty impractical/impossible to remove poop on a trail for those of us who might need a mounting block. If I got off to kick poop every time my horse went potty then I'd have to just walk and lead him around on all the trails and that sort of defeats the whole purpose of a trail ride. I would hope the owners of any horse trails would understand things like that--you know, that horses poo and we can't always do much about it.

:poop:

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's pretty impractical/impossible to remove poop on a trail for those of us who might need a mounting block. If I got off to kick poop every time my horse went potty then I'd have to just walk and lead him around on all the trails and that sort of defeats the whole purpose of a trail ride. I would hope the owners of any horse trails would understand things like that--you know, that horses poo and we can't always do much about it.

:poop:
Well, they're not horse trails per se, just trails the neighbors mow so his wife and dog can go on walks. They are absolutely amazing neighbors, and will go all out to help out others. They would not likely ever complain about anything. Which is why I want to be extra considerate. It's a privilege I don't want to take for granted. So I will work on getting Rusty to move over when he needs to go, and in the meantime, I figure getting on and off him once during a ride won't kill me. I want to do longer and longer rides, and make a day of it, so while I want to keep our setup lightweight, I would like to be able to bring a lunch, stop and let him graze, etc. Getting off him and finding a stump to climb back on him will be good training for both of us.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
When I rode Mounted Patrol, it was for a pretty high end suburb of Houston and the elite residents didn’t want to see horse poop…the horror!!! We basically potty-trained our horses to only go in select wooded areas which were hidden from public view. That was about ten years ago and Skip STILL remembers that and will go to a less public place to go. If I tap him right above his tail, he knows we’re not in a spot he can go and to wait until we get to one. Pretty funny that he still remembers it.
Excuse me for butting in, but this is hilarious... and of course, as we all know, the elite don't personally have bowel movements, and all they ever pee is rosewater...😋

1 - 15 of 15 Posts