The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 yo OTTB gelding has been doing amazing training-wise.

However, he is having trouble picking up the left lead but does awesome on the right lead (not to mention his left lead is his stronger side!).

If I use a pole it helps his baby brain focus and he is slowing picking it up more and more often.

I was wondering what you guys do to help build more strength and pick up the correct lead?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh, I love babies! With young horses, I really like to exaggerate my leg and hand position and cues. I don't know how much experience your horse has but it helped me a lot with my young one!
Also, I don't know what discipline you ride, but in western at least I was taught that whenever we have trouble picking up the correct lead, we kind of tilt our horses. So we are kind of having them half pass to the outside if that makes sense? It's not dramatically at a slant but when their bodies are tilted even in the smallest way, they tend to make adjustments to help keep their balance, especially picking up a canter. So if I'm tracking left and want to pick up my left lead, I make my horse slightly swing in their hind end to the inside of the arena and make their front face more towards the wall. So: butt in, face out. Works like a charm for me! Again, it is not a dramatic slant but sometimes with young horses you have to get dramatic for them to really understand and then it gets more subtle along the way!
I hope this helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,143 Posts
It can help to ask for that lead in a place where he'll be thinking about wanting to go that direction. Like as you're coming around a turn that will have you going towards the barn, or his buddies. They tend to pick up the lead that will help them go in the direction their brain is already wanting to go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts