The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've never had a problem posting pictures, but now they are showing up upside down :frown_color:

I made a copy of a picture and inserted it, still upside down!!

Haven't changed anything on computer so not sure why this is occurring.

Thread is a new one I started "Clothing for riding"

Thanks in advance!

AA

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
...have you changed your camera? (Or maybe has your camera originally registered the photo as upside down, but then corrected it, which you may not even have noticed?)

A forum doesn't take note of the camera codes that tell your display software at home to display the photos in "correct" orientation - or codes produced by much of such software to rotate them. In a forum, the photograph itself (its pixels) have to be rotated in the correct manner. So I always use GNU Image Manipulation software (equivalent of Photoshop etc but for UNIX-based operating systems instead of Windows) to turn my photos the right way in actuality, rather than with software code. I know there's less complicated packages to turn a photo, but we happen to have this one anyway.

Maybe others will post what they use to do it! :)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Sometimes if picture is to big it will turn sideways or upside down. If you crop it down then upload it. It will upload the right way. This has worked for me I'm on a phone.

I have no other devices laptop and desk top crashed an died.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes if picture is to big it will turn sideways or upside down. If you crop it down then upload it. It will upload the right way. This has worked for me I'm on a phone.

I have no other devices laptop and desk top crashed an died.
Sorry your laptop and desk top crashed :frown_color:

This is a picture I've attached before, and its never done it before this. I'll try the crop...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...have you changed your camera? (Or maybe has your camera originally registered the photo as upside down, but then corrected it, which you may not even have noticed?)

A forum doesn't take note of the camera codes that tell your display software at home to display the photos in "correct" orientation - or codes produced by much of such software to rotate them. In a forum, the photograph itself (its pixels) have to be rotated in the correct manner. So I always use GNU Image Manipulation software (equivalent of Photoshop etc but for UNIX-based operating systems instead of Windows) to turn my photos the right way in actuality, rather than with software code. I know there's less complicated packages to turn a photo, but we happen to have this one anyway.

Maybe others will post what they use to do it! :)

@SueC I am barely understanding half of what you wrote! I have not ever changed pictures with any software, except to crop a picture or scan one.

This picture has worked fine before, so not sure what happened, but I'm going to try the "crop and save" method posted above by @rambo99 that I think I can manage not to mess up :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
@RegalCharm - had to crop a couple photos for me before they would load right side up on here. Now I make sure I crop as small as I can and still have the photo make sense. I don't know of any changes the forum officially made to cause this.

I used to be able to upload from my phone and now can't, so I rarely share pics anymore.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
This was happening to me too. I fixed it by using photo editing software on my computer. Even the photos that looked correct, I put them into the photo editing software and re-saved them.

Reactions: AnitaAnne

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Sorry your laptop and desk top crashed :frown_color:

This is a picture I've attached before, and its never done it before this. I'll try the crop...
I've had pictures that uploaded fine, the next time are sideways or upside down. Cropping them fixed it. Not a big deal about computers. Kinda like my phone better anyway. 😊
@boots I find I can't upload pictures from the desktop version of forum on my phone. Can upload pics though from the full version of forum.

Desktop version when I click the manage attachments, it takes me back to home page.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The crop worked! Thanks for the tip @rambo99 . Would be annoying to go through every picture though :frown_color:

I haven't had a desk top in years, but I do like my laptop. Can't do that many things on the phone, and websites are so different on a phone as they are on the computer. Seems to take forever to find things.

Plus without a TV, I watch things on YouTube, usually for information but some movies too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts