The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Havana. She is a four year old palomino Quarter Horse mare. She came nameless (Although dumb a$$ and other various profanities were used so often with her I believe she thought THAT was her name...) She is very sweet. While we were there taking the horses that we could the owner busied herself hitting, swinging ropes at, screaming at and kicking the rest of the herd for no reason. They were all various sorts of thin and shy but she called them a bunch of xxxxxxx fatties. No food in sight, none on the property and the excuse "I just ran out last week, I only feed when I ride" was tossed around quite a bit. The owner grabbed some old hay off from her trailer floor, walked into the pasture to catch a few horses and was mobbed by a herd she claimed was not hungry. She kicked, screamed and hit her way threw them... :cry:
I believe I will be going back for anything else she has offered for sale. Here is one of the girls we brought back with us a few days ago however...

Her horrible feet!

Her weight is hard to see given her super long coat and light palomino color but she feels awful and was/still is very dehydrated and sucked up. Her rear end looks like it just fell off her body.

Given the situation most didn't look terrible... She has such a sweet personality and expression. It is AMAZING how forgiving horses are. They have nothing to prove to us, we have so much to prove to them yet they'll continue to try.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Poor girl. What happened to her feet? Or do you know? I have never seen anything like that before.. Glad you got her though :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No clue! Can't wait for the farrier visit the first week in January, she'll love this one. This poor girl looks like someone took a rasp and hoof knife to the outside of her hooves - which could have likely been the case with this person.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I will be quite interested in what our farrier has to say. To me it looks like someone etched a tic tac toe board onto her foot and maybe figured if they got bored with riding they could always hop off and play a game?
I've never seen anything like this....

·
Registered
335 Posts
What a sweet face. Glad you have her now & she will thrive in your loving care. Will be interesting to see her in the summer & how golden she will get!

·
Registered
693 Posts
she has the sweetest face ever, some people are just unbelievable. I'm thinking the colour of her muzzle could be her summer colour?? if so she will be stunning, especially with some weight on!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
oh poor girl !

Glad she is in a loving home, although she is a light palomino and the muzzle, she looks identical to my boy ! (although he has a hay belly as of right now !)
Her feet are shocking ! what a horrible place she was at :(
It looks like burnt wood !

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
wow, her feet are..... how in the hec..... just wow . Poor girl, at least she has a new loving home! You should just take all of those poor horses from that whitch.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I ditto what has already been said about this poor girls feet. How awful!
I just do not understand what the heck goes through some people's heads! Frustrating.
Good for you for taking in this girl.
I too noticed the pretty light on her in one of the pics. I thought to myself how wonderful she will look with more weight/muscle and a summer coat.
I cannot wait to hear what the farrier will say.
Also can't wait to see the wonderful transformation....
It would be nice to take a file to that womens toenails and leave a tic-tak-toe on her feet too....
how mean.
So happy for the two of you!!
Halfpass

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please tell me you reported that lowlife to the authorities?

Once we've finished buying what she has offed I will be however nothing will happen.
I think in this case they'll go see these horses are thin, not shinny, not happy and she is mean BUT they're not dying, the do have a shelter ish type thing (8x8 box with 6" gaps in between every board and the best part... NAILS everywhere! From the ceiling to the walls, its a run in death trap, every horse has a nail poke somewhere or what looks to be a wound from that)
So all in all they'll go out there and nothing will happen. Especially if she catches wind they're coming out and she gets hay to the horses/water as well which I didn't see. I saw a solid block of ice. Its a case where they wouldn't do anything. The least you'd think they could... SHOULD do is give her a verbal warning and limit her number of horses, check in from time to time not necessarily cease them BUT sadly, nothing at all would happen.

This poor girls feet are un-believable. I am at a loss of how they got this way in the first place. I am very excited as well to see what proper feeding does for her color this spring with that chocolate-y muzzle of hers. She'll be a nice BIG girl when filled out. She is quite thick. I wish we could get all of these poor horses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts