The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! In late September I went out to check on our gelding who was walking slower than normal and seemed to be limping some, got worse throughout the day. I was rubbing him all over and felt a huge bulge on the front of his chest on his right side. I was freaking out some as I had never seen this before, I knew something was wrong! Called the vet and explained what was going on, he said it sounds like Pigeon Fever, there were numerous cases in the area. I had no idea what this was and now that I know what it s I wish I didn't! What a Nightmare this has been. We set up another pen and had to quarentine him for about 3 weeks, got him into the vet too late, the mass was too hard to lance so the vet said it will run it;s course. We had to give antibiotics for ten days which did nothing for him except good training for using a syringe. The mass finally burst during the third week and then the draining lasted about 10 days. This poor horse, he lost some weight but not too much, poor guy just moped around. we could finally turn him out with the other two geldings for about a month and then BAM, another one showed up! GRRRRR!!!!!! This time it was deep inside under his front left shoulder, It was so big, at first we thought his shoulder was out of place. Called the vet back out and turns out it was another mass, this one was able to be lanced thankfully, man what a mess! It was the size of a bowling ball, I thought how on earth has this happened again? We were told the first time that once a horse gets it they dont get it again. Well it apparently had spread from the first time he had it and we didn;t know. The second time was in early December, which is odd because there are no flies here that time of year. He is now all healed from his lancing and drainage, thank goodness! Has anyone else experienced this before? I'd like to hear your stories!

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
We had it going through out area some years back but luckily I have no experience with it because my horses lucked out and didn't get it. But it was going on all around us.

I also had a friend with a horse that had a huge abscess on the chest and we would have bet money on it being pigeon fever but they cultured it and apparently it wasn't. He must have had a nasty kick to the chest. They lanced and drained it too, but it came back negative for pigeon fever. I would have lost that bet!

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Never heard that they could never get it again. Once its on your land, you have it. It stays in the soil. Look up Dryland Distemper because this is what pigeon fever is. I had a mare with it last year, she had to be on antibiotics and a steroid for 2 days. She was swollen from her bags up onto her sides and onto her chest. She was so swollen on her chest she could barely walk. Nasty nasty stuff. It finally popped and would drain , then close up. We had to flush it to keep it draining. It took a good month to get all the swelling down. It showed up fast.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts

What was once considered a disease of California horses, pigeon fever is now a growing problem throughout the United States, with outbreaks in Oregon, Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho and several Midwestern and Eastern states.

Known by a number of names, including pigeon breast, dryland distemper, dryland strangles and false distemper, prognosis for a complete recovery is good, although some horses experience multiple episodes.

The disease occurs in three forms: external abscesses, internal abscesses and limb infection, also known as ulcerative lymphangitis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts