The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken on a 3 year old percheron x tb mare from a friend of mine. She has done not much since the breakers, and the girl doesn't have the time to ride her, so I am taking her to educate and posisbly compete. Not the most conventional dressage horse I know, but hey, she's not bad!!
My question is, how on earth do you plait a perchy's mane??? She has a very long, very thick mane, and that being a characteristic of the breed, I will not be pulling it.

So how would you plait it for competition? I only know the standard bobble/rosettes as I've never had a horse with such a difficult mane!

Also, what would you do with the forelock? It is down to her nostrils almost, and quite thick, so again, no chance of a standard rosette!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't know if a running braid down her neck would be acceptable or not. Sorry I'm no help, but I don't generally do anything with my manes.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm yeah that might be the way to go. I can't leave it 'au natural' for official dressage, it is just too boofy! Now to work out how to do a running braid like that... god I can't even braid my own hair... this horse had better stay still for me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another thing to check though is I know a running braid is quite acceptable at a rated dressage show but the diamond pattern I'm not so sure, it could just be certain breeds. My friend did the diamond braiding on her TB but it was at a schooling show.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts