The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I have a mare and her mane is longer at the front, but becomes very short at the back, not just around the wither, before that too!

I'm wanting to braid her with button braids but feel that the braids would look... interesting to say the least as uneven.

They haven't really been growing back, I think she may rub or something?

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
She may be rubbing her mane out on something, and if that's the case you need to figure it out and remove whatever it is. She could have something in her mane making her really itchy, so washing and conditioning her mane could help. You can also pull the mane (if it's not SO short in the short areas) to even things up a bit, you can do a running braid instead of button braids, or you can just not braid until things grow out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How long do you have until the show? You could try M-T-G at night to try and encourage hair growth.

How many fingers is the length of mane at the front and by the wither? It might not be pretty, but you may be able to do two plaits (with a load of hairspray/ quickbraid) and make it into a little button. You will have to make the plait quite tight and close to the crest and tie off well. Then try to shape with elastics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts