The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this saddle at our local horse auction earlier this month. I thought it was an Aussie saddle, and no one was bidding on it, so I picked it up for $20. I was going to put it outside as decor when I realized it wasn't an Aussie saddle, but I decided to throw it on my horse and thought it was too comfy to put outside.

Long story short, a horse friend saw the saddle on my horse and said it was antique. I did a little "Google research" after she said that and I believe it's a plantation saddle. Now I'm not sure if I should be keeping it nice in the house, or if it's ok that I'm riding in it. I don't know if it really is genuine or if it's in good enough condition to even be concerned about keeping it in decent shape. Hopefully someone on here knows something about this saddle!

I'm assuming that's the original leather cinch

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you should ride it OR mail it to me for free, LOL!!
It's a beautiful saddle. Is the tree broken, or something? Can't IMAGINE $20 for this.
Lol, at least I can ride in it and not feel bad :wink:

No it's in perfect shape! I don't think anyone at the auction knew what it was.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Jealous person here, would love to see a pic of it all cleaned and oiled and being used.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes, you should ride it OR mail it to me for free, LOL!!
It's a beautiful saddle. Is the tree broken, or something? Can't IMAGINE $20 for this.

Auctions have great stuff at ridiculously low prices...I was at one 2 months ago- horses were going for $50 each

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jealous person here, would love to see a pic of it all cleaned and oiled and being used.
I'll have to get it all cleaned up and take some pictures!

I don't have a great picture of the saddle in use, just this one on my phone. It was a super hot day and she and I were soaked with seat

Auctions have great stuff at ridiculously low prices...I was at one 2 months ago- horses were going for $50 each
Yeah, horse prices are sad. You can get horses from the 'loose pen' for $25, some don't even get sold for $25, I'm not sure what happens to those horses.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Buena vista saddle, decent saddle, but not really a collectors item you need to put under glass. Clean it up and use it if its still secure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buena vista saddle, decent saddle, but not really a collectors item you need to put under glass. Clean it up and use it if its still secure.
Perfect, that's what I wanted to make sure of. I'd hate to use it and scratch it/damage it only to find out I should have kept it nice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.