The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently got a rescue mare who I was told to be 13. Vet came out to do her teeth and come to find out, she's in her 20s.

So, being she's older I have her on a few things. She's harder to keep weight on and she's very arthritic.

So here's what she gets.

•Blue Seals Sentinel Lifetime formula-2qts am&pm. About 5 pounds a day.
•1/2 pound am&pm Nutrena Empower Boost high fat bran supplement
•1/2 cup flax seed 2x a day.
•probiotics (only on it for a short time, not being kept permanently on it)
•1/4 pill previcox in Am
•smartpack senior joint supplement in Am
•source in Am

I feel like I'm overloading her but she looked like complete doo when I got her. Opinions??
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
What about hay? Most of her nutrition should be in forage. If she can't chew hay, she needs an alternative.

I honestly think we over-supplement our animals. I say keep it simple. A good senior feed plus all the hay she'll eat will put weight on her more quickly than anything else.

·
Banned
568 Posts
I have a 29 year old mare that get 4lbs of triple crown senior and free choice hay,4 oz of flax. That's its she looks great weight wise.

I think your doing over kill on the feeding program. Simple is best

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has a roundbale in her pasture and i over stuff her haynet in her stall so she has enough throughout the night. She can chew fine, vet came and did her teeth and said aslong as she has no trouble eating then don't worry about wetting her food. She still isn't gaining much weight dispite the free choice hay. She's in her 20s and an appendix QH.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Could you add a little alfalfa to her diet? I know this can do wonders for some thinner horses. That or maybe beet pulp.

I agree no need to add the extra joint sup sine there is one in the feed already.

1/2 cup of whole flax weighs about 3.2 ounces so that's 6.4 ounces total per day.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I'm assuming this is vet approved?

I don't know how long she's been on it, but I would keep her on it for now then cut out the extras as needed. If she has arthritis I see nothing wrong with a joint supplement. She's not that old but obviously has issues.

Source sounds the most superfluous atm if she is doing well.

Agree her diet should be primarily good hay, but assume you just didn't bother to mention that.

·
Banned
568 Posts
I'm assuming this is vet approved?

I don't know how long she's been on it, but I would keep her on it for now then cut out the extras as needed. If she has arthritis I see nothing wrong with a joint supplement. She's not that old but obviously has issues.

Source sounds the most superfluous atm if she is doing well.

Agree her diet should be primarily good hay, but assume you just didn't bother to mention that.

She did say she was feeding free feed hay in post #5.:wink:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's not skin and bones, but skinner then id like to see her this time of year. I have her on the lifetime for the fact that it does have a joint supplement in it. But I figured that being she is really arthritic (she came to me on and off 3 legged lame, since being on joint supplements and previcox I have not seen her take one lame step) the extra joint supplements wouldn't hurt her in the long run.

The empower boost she has been on for about two weeks. 1 pound per day. Haven't seen much of a difference yet but am going to wait alittle bit before making any changes.

I just don't want to completely overload her. (I'm usually NOT the supplement nazi and try to keep it really simple.

The flax has done wonders for her, her coat is gleaming even in the winter!
I'll attach a picture of her in a moment.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's what she looked like. Not bad, but a bit ribby and sunken around her spine.

And this is her on Christmas Day and two weeks ago.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ah, she's not bad at all really, a few more pounds and she'll likely be good to go. If this is how she looks in person then what you're feeding is doing alright by her. I might give her a little time to fatten up a tiny bit more by laying off of work for a little bit, or only doing light work, but after that she'll be good to go into full training.

Just remember once in full training they can lose weight again because of the increase in calories burnt during the exertion. So she might need more feed once she builds up to a decent amount of work.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
She's cute.

I would keep her on what she is now (personally I would NOT stop the joint supplement).

When she's where you want her I would get rid of the flax and Empower, possibly cut grain, and consider cutting Source but would keep the rest of the supplements.

I would do this slowly and if she starts do look worse stop and read.

My guess is you will end up with just the grain.

I would also give her beet pulp.

I don't know how long you've had her?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had her since the end of December. I took off her blanket lastnight and she's looking better. I think the roundbale is really helping her. I will try to get more recent pics of her later today.

I mostly have her on flax to help her coat and joints. Not to add weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts