The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was out in the pasture the other day and my gelding gus was running and playing around with the other horses and then a gunshot went off and he came running to the barn where i was standing and he slid to a stop and almost hit me

·
Banned
41 Posts
He was being really mean to Gray this weekend and Gray is half his twice his size!! Gus is a bully but you gotta love him!! I know bigbootybay does!!:) She is with that horse whenever she gets the chance.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Horses have the quickest reaction time of all domesticated animals. I would slip a small whip into your boots so you have something to flash in front. Believe me, had you waved a whip in his direction he would have slid to a stop further away from you, as long as he respects a whip, which you didn't say. Sometimes we forget how our horses can seriously harm us, even by accident. If he tried that around a bossier horse, he KNOWS that he'd be kicked. BE a little more proactive next time you're out there in their turnouts.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Horses have the quickest reaction time of all domesticated animals. I would slip a small whip into your boots so you have something to flash in front. Believe me, had you waved a whip in his direction he would have slid to a stop further away from you, as long as he respects a whip, which you didn't say. Sometimes we forget how our horses can seriously harm us, even by accident. If he tried that around a bossier horse, he KNOWS that he'd be kicked. BE a little more proactive next time you're out there in their turnouts.
ITA - it's not about standing there asking them to please not run over you - it's about standing tall and TELLING them they do NOT want to even THINK about it.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
ITA - it's not about standing there asking them to please not run over you - it's about standing tall and TELLING them they do NOT want to even THINK about it.
AND It's about the skill and intelligence to know that boundaries have to be established, you have a personal space and nothing should even think about coming into it..

My stud actually fell on his knees while trying to avoid getting into my space, he was focused on something else, then saw me, went "Oh Crepe" and in the ice managed to fall over.

Scaredy Cat Emmy, threw in a huge great spook towards me when I was leading her, but managed not to get in my space, I was so impressed I though I was toast, but she had respect and somehow managed to land on solid ground instead of squashy human.

Both cases things happened so quick that I didn't actually have time to do anything sensible, just was lucky that, no not lucky, no luck involved...

From the moment they both set foot on the property, from when anyone sets foot here, they need to know I am the boss, I can usually bluff it by being assertive, but if I need to physically back up an early challenge I will.

In real life there are no magikal empathetic black stallions bonding with you, there is just lead mare, and I AM IT!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ill try that next time he respects a whip alot :D he is realy good at respecting my spae on a rope guess i better get in the round pen some more thank to all your responses i realy didnt have time to think anything it happened realy fast

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
In my experience, when a horse is running towards you, the last thing on your mind is thinking about how fast a horse can stop. Even after all these years, I'm still amazed at how agile they are, but I still put my arm out and shout a good 'whoo' just to make myself feel good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: goneriding

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
One time all four of mine were running around and came towards me, It was muddy from rain the day before and I lost one of my boots trying to get out of their way, little sh*ts!

They can play chicken quite well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts