The Horse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all; excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes english is my second language..

Okay so I have a problem. My horse first had a round bald spot on her butt(?) . And later started to have a lot of wounds on her head, these wounds progressed to balding and scalding around her eyes. The vet came and prescribed prednisolon. It helped heal her skin on her head and her hairs grew back. But the spot on her butt remains. Now I dont know if her head healed because it wasnt itchy anymore because of the prednisolon or because it is an autoimmune disease.. so my question is;

- does anyone recognize this? ( it seems to be itchy and sensitive)

Sky Working animal Liver Fawn Wood
Brown Horse Working animal Liver Neck
Hair Glasses Head Eyebrow Eye

·
Registered
Retired breeder
2,305 Posts
I had a mare with something similar, it was seasonal allergies. She would run the hair off around her eyes that way, and you could see she was rubbing her eyes on her knees. But, soon as summer was over, she would clear up and be fine, till the next spring, and it would start all over again.

Reactions: ddevisser95

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a mare with something similar, it was seasonal allergies. She would run the hair off around her eyes that way, and you could see she was rubbing her eyes on her knees. But, soon as summer was over, she would clear up and be fine, till the next spring, and it would start all over again.
Did she also have spots on other parts of het body? The spot on her butt worries me a little since it doesnt heal. It has been there for more than 3 months..

·
Registered
Retired breeder
2,305 Posts
Not that I recall.

Have you treated this mare for mites?

·
Registered
Horse loving mama
729 Posts
She looks to have rain rot around her eyes, I know it sounds strange to have it there but thats what it looks like to me.I would think if it were flys bothering her her eyes would be running and have sores in the corner of her eyes. And for her legs and butt area it looks like sand burn, I have see horses with those same looking scars and it was sand burn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oke so, when we used prednison her eyes healed and the flaking stopped. Now we quit the prednisolon for about a week and the skin is balding again. Does this mean it is an autoimmune reaction? (Because the prednisolon healed it) I also found other spots on her ears and neck, but they mighr be from the scratching(very small). I tried a fly mask for a few days but that doesnt seem to hhelp.
Cheek Eye Eyelash Human body Jaw

·
Registered
353 Posts
My guess would be that the prednisone didn't really heal anything, but it took enough inflammation away to make her more comfortable for a short time. Did her butt ever heal? I truly believe it's a systemic infection of some sort. As I said in my experience it's usually been fungal but it could be bacterial as well. Depending on what your vet thought you might pull some blood or take a skin scraping to try to isolate it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dustyk it didnt just take her discomfert away. All her hair aroud her eyes grew back while using prednisolon.. but you are right, maybe the best thing to do is ask a vet again. There are so many possible skin diseases yhat could cause this apparently. Thanks for your reply! Btw her eyes look like this after the prednisolon but they are starting to get worse again.
Hair Horse Head Eye Eyelash

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m actually having the vet out soon for a very similar problem with my gelding.

A spot on his hip is going completely bald, withers have pretty much no hair left, the backs of his ears are bald, a spot on his shoulder is starting, and so is a spot on his butt.

It came up so quickly it was a shock...one day he was shedding out normally, then bam, bald spots.

At first I thought my saddle was rubbing...it seemed to be, so I quite riding him in a saddle. Still continued to get progressively worse. So I’m having a vet out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts