The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what it is I seem to be doing wrong, we currently have 4 x horses all geldings. 1 newbie also. (Only home a month)
My boys have been off lately with me, my 5yo gelding lashed out and tried to kick me the other day? When I touched down his back? Abnormal behaviour? I thought back pain straight away? But he keeps kicking out at me? This horse has had cuts before on back end and legs? And I’ve treated with no nonsense? So I will investigate the pain in case just strange he is directing out at me? I brought him out for a bath 2 days earlier no issues, has a little bit of itch? So I washed him in medicated wash and treated him.
2. Our pony which is dead quiet, I chased away from my other geldings feed dish? Back to his own and He kicked out at me! Nearly hit me 2 back feet in the face! This has Never happened ever!
these two boys are in the paddock together fed every day with no issues?
3. the other gelding bucked me off, about a month ago, got on again and walked him out after no worries, he is in the paddock with the new horse, the new horse was fine, but now starting to play up? They will chase each other from food with no regard for me in the middle of them, almost wiping me out? Kicking out etc.. and now playing up pig root when I ride?

could it be food related? They are all on calcium supplements and hi cal pellets and lucerne chaff? Or the new horse? I am starting to really really lose confidence in myself over it all and really disliking the whole experience.
maybe someone has some insight into what I’m doing wrong!

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Hi, yeah, if they're all behaving 'out of sorts' lately, I'd be definitely thinking something physical. You mention 'itch' so I'm guessing you're up north somewhere? No idea about the weather up there lately, but down here we're having a lot of green & also a lot of 'weeds' coming up, it having been wet & cooler summer than normal. So maybe something to do with nutrition - too much potassium for eg. Or maybe it's about too little feed - if you have to hard feed everything, perhaps they're going hungry between meals & all have ulcers or such. Maybe due to feed in your parts, they have 'spring fever', albeit rather late.

Other thoughts on your words...
My boys have been off lately with me, my 5yo gelding lashed out and tried to kick me the other day? When I touched down his back? Abnormal behaviour? I thought back pain straight away?
Not sure why all the question marks - I mean, WE can't tell you if it's abnormal behaviour, only you can, if you know the horse well/long enough to know what's normal. But yes, if you were touching his back at the time & it is hurting him, there's a good reason for him to kick out.

2. Our pony which is dead quiet, I chased away from my other geldings feed dish? Back to his own and He kicked out at me!
That sounds like normal behaviour. But if it's not such normal behaviour for him, either as suggested, something nutritional maybe, or perhaps you're emotionally different somehow & he now feels he can tell you what he things of your bossiness.
3. the other gelding bucked me off, ... new horse was fine, but now starting to play up? They will chase each other from food with no regard for me in the middle of them, ... pig root when I ride?
Getting bucked off/pigrooting could be about saddle pain, back pain, you bouncing... etc. Do you use the same saddle on the different horses? New horse now playing up - he's now settled in, feels confident to start playing/asserting himself. Chasing eachother without regard for you is entirely normal. So keep on your toes & don't let your guard down, especially when you have multiple loose horses and food! You just need to teach them 'no horsey politics while I'm present'

could it be food related? They are all on calcium supplements and hi cal pellets and lucerne chaff?
Guessing you're in a 'Big Head' area then? Ca needs to be balanced with Mg among other things, and Mg, among other things, effects physical and mental 'sensitivity', so if they're on high Ca but not getting adequate Mg, that could be 'the' issue. Have you had a diet/pasture analysis done to know exactly what's in their diet & work out which supps may be best?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, yeah, if they're all behaving 'out of sorts' lately, I'd be definitely thinking something physical. You mention 'itch' so I'm guessing you're up north somewhere? No idea about the weather up there lately, but down here we're having a lot of green & also a lot of 'weeds' coming up, it having been wet & cooler summer than normal. So maybe something to do with nutrition - too much potassium for eg. Or maybe it's about too little feed - if you have to hard feed everything, perhaps they're going hungry between meals & all have ulcers or such. Maybe due to feed in your parts, they have 'spring fever', albeit rather late.

Other thoughts on your words...

Not sure why all the question marks - I mean, WE can't tell you if it's abnormal behaviour, only you can, if you know the horse well/long enough to know what's normal. But yes, if you were touching his back at the time & it is hurting him, there's a good reason for him to kick out.

That sounds like normal behaviour. But if it's not such normal behaviour for him, either as suggested, something nutritional maybe, or perhaps you're emotionally different somehow & he now feels he can tell you what he things of your bossiness.

Getting bucked off/pigrooting could be about saddle pain, back pain, you bouncing... etc. Do you use the same saddle on the different horses? New horse now playing up - he's now settled in, feels confident to start playing/asserting himself. Chasing eachother without regard for you is entirely normal. So keep on your toes & don't let your guard down, especially when you have multiple loose horses and food! You just need to teach them 'no horsey politics while I'm present'

Guessing you're in a 'Big Head' area then? Ca needs to be balanced with Mg among other things, and Mg, among other things, effects physical and mental 'sensitivity', so if they're on high Ca but not getting adequate Mg, that could be 'the' issue. Have you had a diet/pasture analysis done to know exactly what's in their diet & work out which supps may be best?

Yes I’m a in high risk, big head area. I would assume “feed” is the culprit as surely all 4 horses can’t be acting out all at once. They have all been on the same feed for a long period of time now though, we also feed equilibrium and dolomite supplements. Both have mg in the 60% & 35% but I could try an extra mg supplement? I will look into pasture analysis.
We had rain early jan, so everything was green. Now dying off. They have plenty of feed in their paddocks, just mainly fed to keep their supplements up.
Different saddles for each horse. I suppose I have been emotionally different, after all these “incidents” but nothing extreme.
The “itch” seems to be coming from the large amount of brigalow trees we have in the paddock he is in. I was going to try to swap all of them around.. so they change mates and to give him a “break” from the trees to see if it clears up? He has never been affected by it before. But I also am not sure if it would be a great time to move them about whilst they are carrying on.
thank you for breaking things down..
Given me a direction to start eliminating piece by piece.

I was beginning to think my horses were all hating on me.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum....

New herd member, yes a month is still pecking order time needing sorted out.
You've also come out of the starry-eyed time and now are in the "show what we is" time of being tested by the new one...
Could it be food related? Sure, why not.
Is it a new food recently given by chance?
And not even a "new food" but a new bag of their food that possibly a recipe was changed a bit and is now not agreeing with the animals...and yes, it can affect all if one changes temperament they all then jostle around in that hierarchy placement again...
A vet visit would not be wrong, in fact probably where at the least a phone call would be made if not a actual visit just to make sure nothing is amiss by me...
Good luck, let us know if anything is discovered and do be careful of naughty animals....
🐴...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wondering what it is I seem to be doing wrong, we currently have 4 x horses all geldings. 1 newbie also. (Only home a month)
My boys have been off lately with me, my 5yo gelding lashed out and tried to kick me the other day? When I touched down his back? Abnormal behaviour? I thought back pain straight away? But he keeps kicking out at me? This horse has had cuts before on back end and legs? And I’ve treated with no nonsense? So I will investigate the pain in case just strange he is directing out at me? I brought him out for a bath 2 days earlier no issues, has a little bit of itch? So I washed him in medicated wash and treated him.
2. Our pony which is dead quiet, I chased away from my other geldings feed dish? Back to his own and He kicked out at me! Nearly hit me 2 back feet in the face! This has Never happened ever!
these two boys are in the paddock together fed every day with no issues?
3. the other gelding bucked me off, about a month ago, got on again and walked him out after no worries, he is in the paddock with the new horse, the new horse was fine, but now starting to play up? They will chase each other from food with no regard for me in the middle of them, almost wiping me out? Kicking out etc.. and now playing up pig root when I ride?

could it be food related? They are all on calcium supplements and hi cal pellets and lucerne chaff? Or the new horse? I am starting to really really lose confidence in myself over it all and really disliking the whole experience.
maybe someone has some insight into what I’m doing wrong!
I live in Florida and so maybe the weather? I would never expect my horses to leave each others feed dishes alone. They go batsh... over their grain. It was the coldest its been all winter this am and a vet told me he had to delay surgery for my horse due to another horse running through a fence this am. At least two hours of face surgery. My horses suddenly ran all over the pasture yesterday. I'm sure that was the weather.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
What is pig root and big head for us non Australians?
Haha! Pigroot is a bit like a buck, but kicking out rather than up - the one they can do at a canter! Often done in fun, rather than pain or fear which IMO is the main cause of bucking.
'Big head' is 'Nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism' a condition caused by chronic calcium deficiency, generally caused by certain pasture types in certain areas. I'll google a pic, so you can see why it's called 'big head'...

From Redirect Notice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have upped the mg and all of them are far happier!
No more issues with everyone in the paddock now, took a few times of me walking in with my flag just to make sure everyone behaved and gave me space. So much better horses all round! Finally happy medium

1 - 9 of 9 Posts