The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mare got cut in the trailer somehow and she has a pretty nasty gash. My trainer is reccomending a healing ointment called "Recover" it comes in a little blue/white bottle maybe 4-5 inches high. Hers is gone and I desperately want to get some. She says it will work wonders. This is my problem...I have checked ALL local farm stores,online, it seems like no one has even heard of it and my trainer can't remember where she got hers...

has anyone heard of this stuff and if so does anyone have any idea where i could order it from?

please help:shock:

thanks!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The best thing you can do for wounds is to keep them clean with a MILD soap and water and stay out of the body's way for healing. Most of the wounds we end up treating at the vet hospital are wrecks that have gone wrong from people being too aggressive at trying to treat them on their own with any variety of "miracle cure". Do not use hydrogen peroxide as it will kill vascular tissue (blood vessels) that are trying to help heal the wound. And never EVER use something on your horse that you wouldn't put on yourself.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Can't agree more. Keep it clean!

I personally always used Horseman Dream ointment on all cuts (and I had some pretty bad ones including once in trailer). Found it to be the best out of 5 I tried. But in generally any ointment would work: some people use Corona, some Tri-ointments, etc.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yep, I'm with Tealamutt. For most wounds simply keeping them clean and applying a plain triple antibiotic ointment is the best recommendation. If the wound is low on the leg then bandaging and stalling to help minimize continual contamination and movement both of which can lead to poor healing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've used Wonder Dust or Wound Powder on my guys cuts, which both work great.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. i don't want to put anything on it except the "Recover" formula which my trainer uses on her $80,000 horses so i think it is probably safe ;) i am keeping it very clean. i have dealt with cuts before...i was really just looking for anyone that knew where to get the "Recover" salve. but thanks for responding!

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is a product called CutHeal...that works wonders. If you cant find the "recover" check into this product. I have used it for years on my horses and it works amazing!
Just keep the wound clean and dab this on top of cut, and it heals from the inside out and inhibits proud flesh.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Personally, I might give a bit more consideration to the advice offered by medical professionals in this thread, but whatever floats your boat. The difficulty you are having in finding it would make it seem it may have been taken off the market so maybe it wasn't quite as miraculous as you want to believe.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Don't cover it with any crap. Wounds need air to heal and to kill bacteria.
Clean it out by running warm water over it and if you can leave the horse on stall rest where it can be left open and stay clean. The would should be rinsed up to 4 times a day and no less than twice.
If swelling/heat is present then the horse should be cold hosed and immediately put on antibiotics. In fact if the gash is as bad as you are describing it then it should already be on them.
If the wound will be in a dirty environment (ie outside, in an arena) it should be wrapped.
Make sure the vet is monitoring progress and otherwise follow the LITHA method of healing. As long as you are keeping dirt, fingers, etc away from it then rinsing it should suffice.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
thanks. i don't want to put anything on it except the "Recover" formula which my trainer uses on her $80,000 horses so i think it is probably safe ;) i am keeping it very clean. i have dealt with cuts before...i was really just looking for anyone that knew where to get the "Recover" salve. but thanks for responding!
Also, just adding. The method I suggested above is that used by FEI veterinarians all over the world to heal wounds on $250,000 horses.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone can write anything on here. i would rather trust someone that I KNOW and work with in person.

I wasn't looking for advice on how to deal with the cut. it is already almost healed. I was LOOKING FOR THE RECOVER formula only.

Again thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Also, just adding. The method I suggested above is that used by FEI veterinarians all over the world to heal wounds on $250,000 horses.

Piaffe, you are absolutely right. Anyone can write anything on the internet. Just as anyone can write anything on a "wound" product that they manufacture. So you're right to be skeptical. However if you had called a veterinarian (calls are free!) they'd likely have told you the same things. We euthanized a racehorse insured for over a million because she had a small puncture wound that her trainers decided to treat. It went to the joint, became septic and that was the end of her story.

Again, I agree that you should listen to those you know and trust in the real world and always remember that a phone call to your trusted vet costs you nothing and may save everything.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Piaffe, you are absolutely right. Anyone can write anything on the internet. Just as anyone can write anything on a "wound" product that they manufacture. So you're right to be skeptical. However if you had called a veterinarian (calls are free!) they'd likely have told you the same things. We euthanized a racehorse insured for over a million because she had a small puncture wound that her trainers decided to treat. It went to the joint, became septic and that was the end of her story.

Again, I agree that you should listen to those you know and trust in the real world and always remember that a phone call to your trusted vet costs you nothing and may save everything.
I have also seen some sad outcomes at the hands of some vets. Seen a leg wound that if treated properly and with the right recourse would have healed without issue. But due to lack of as you referred to as aggressive treatment turn into a complete disaster.

IMO it is wise to use common sense, and a vet who has a good reputation. Also just beacuse a vet or vet tech says so...doesn't always make it so. If something doesn't feel right for you, get a second opinion. We do it with our doctors, so it shouldn't be any different for vets....

Listen to those you know and trust.....don't just listen because they have a few letters behind thier name.

This is by no means a bash towards any vets or vet techs on this forum. I have just had some personal experiences with my many years of working with and around horses, and in the medical field, that not all vets are created equal...some definitely slept through class. :?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
yes yes yes, I look around at some of my classmates and shudder at the thought that they will be licensed to treat patients soon. I absolutely agree that you have to use a vet you know and trust. I also think we should push for limited licensure for veterinarians.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've used Wonder Dust
Wonder Dust is actually not supposed to be used as just a general wound treatment. It is a caustic powder and destroys ANY cells that it comes into contact with. That makes it good for getting rid of proud flesh, but it also means that if you put it on a wound where there isn't proud flesh you are going to be damaging the healthy tissues and actually slow healing.

Caustic topicals should ONLY be used on excess granulation tissue otherwise you are going to make the wounds heal more slowly.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We should all also push for licensure of technicians. One of the reasons that there is such a HUGE range in what you will hear from "vet techs" is the fact that in several states there is absolutely no requirement for any special education in order to use that title. Owners should always ask questions of any veterinary technician that they talk to concerning educational background and experience in the field when they start dealing with them in their vet's office. A person calling themselves a vet tech may be someone with extensive education and experience or they may be someone that has worked in a veterinary practice a total of 5 minutes and never gotten any education in veterinary nursing care.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.