The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so finally went shopping for my new dressage saddle today. I was originally looking at the isabel bates I really wanted something with the adjustable tree. However, when I got to the saddlery I found out that my freakishly long legs didn't fit the isabell! The woman who was helping me advised that I really needed to look at the passier or some other brand I can't think of at the moment. They had a used optimum very nice saddle fits me perfectly...but as you all know no adjustable tree. The problem is I recently sold my horse and am riding a variety of different horses and hope to be getting a wide bodied horse of my own in the next few years and dont want to have to buy another saddle. So the woman at the store advised me to get the wide tree and use special pads with shims to fit the tbs I ride. I looked into the saddle fitter thin line pads and they seem like a good choice. Any opinions? Also the passier is a about 400 over what I was originally looking at spending but I'm willing to splurge for the right saddle and this saddle is AMAZING!!! However, if its not going to fit I dont want to waste the money. What should I do? Have any of you had any experience with thin line or any of these saddle fitting pads? Please let me know the pros and cons. My trainer came with me to look at saddles and she seems to think I wont have a problem with the wide tree and saddle fitting pads...Please help I have the saddle on a 3 day trial period!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
The ThinLine shims are only 1/4" thick, so there is not a lot of adjustment there. They will work for a horse that is only slightly narrower than your saddle, but not one that needs a lot more padding.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I did see that however the pad i was looking at offered several different shims you can layer...what is the size difference in inches between an wide and a medium tree anybody know??? I only have 2 days left of the trial and need advice!!! If the thin line pad doesnt work any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Buy the horse, and then buy a saddle that fits the horse. Otherwise just use the saddles that are "with" the horses you ride now.
Isabelles aren't that great anyways.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.