The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

**PLEASE HELP, weird bumps**

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SketchyHorse 
#1 ·
Dear Horse Forum friends My horse Poco has these odd bumps under his fur and at first they didn't hurt him but now he's really sensitive to them. He only has them in one spot and they are about the size of a quarter. Any idea what it is??? Please help I am worried about my Poco!

See less See more
#4 ·
This looks like something my mare had last year. Hers were flakes of dry skin that would come off if you can get under them. I used a cat flea comb. The winter coat stayed intact, almost like it had grown through the patch. My mare was sensitive when I took them gently off, but it was fine after. This fall when she started doing it I doused her with TeaClenz for 5days and it stopped spreading. Still baffled as to what caused it. Good luck!

#5 ·
Look like an allergic reaction to me, but we do need more information. When did they appear, is he itching them, do they have 'pinprick' lumps in them, smooth, crusty, hard, soft?

#6 ·
Do they come off if you pull at them, and are they whitish like built up dead skin? If so it sounds like what Mandicita and I have both dealt with. I don't know what causes it either but it had spread over my horse's entire neck, hips, and chest. She was sensitive but if I pulled them off the skin looked normal (some was a little pink) underneath. The winter hair grew over it just like on Poco.

I have no idea what it is either- and neither did my vets. I actually got a bit desperate and ended up washing and scrubbing my filly down REALLY well with some aloe shampoo, buying a big bottle of MTG and rubbing it all over my filly then letting it is for two days without touching it. Looked nasty but when I washed her again at the end of the two days the dead pieces had sloughed off and lo and behold...healthy skin! Now I'm applying it once a week and I haven't seen any more spots like that or dandruff. I have no idea what it was but at least it was an easy fix.

#8 ·
It could be the start of rain rot
If you live in a tick area then we have been finding them on our horses up till quite recently and the deer ticks especially will leave a lump for ages - and they can go infected if the horse knocks the tick off but leaves part in

#10 ·
A ton of the horses at my boarding barn have rain rot, it all started with small lumps under the hair. Not saying it can't possibly be something else... but that's what I turned out to be for all of us. When it was warmer we washed with anti-fungal/bacterial shampoo & then put on mtg or listerine if the horse couldn't handle mtg.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.