The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 14 year old Standardbred, gelding. He has not had past issues with his hoofs and has been seen regularly by a farrier. I have had him since March and have volunteered at the rescue I got him from since July 2021. He has been there since March of 2021.

He gets turned out to pasture of grass along with my other gelding. Tonight while grooming him I noticed his front left hoof has holes in it near the coronet band. I will contact the vet and farrier tomorrow, but I also want some other insight. He doesn’t have any of the other symptoms of vesicular stomatitis, thank God. Any ideas please let me know.
Automotive tire Wood Tire Automotive wheel system Trunk

Water Road surface Wood Grey Asphalt

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
But, what about that vertical crack . . does something need doing for it?
Yeah, that crack makes me think White Line Disease (a/k/a seedy toe).

Reactions: Newtoequines21

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I contacted the vet and she is going to let me know when she can come out. He saw the farrier on the 31st and to my knowledge he didn’t mention anything.

For the time being should I just make sure he only gets turned out when it’s dry and stop applying hoof oil?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't mind about the periople. It's just something that happens, and usually is not a problem. As for the crack, I'd ask the farrier about it next time they come out. Which if the last time was the 31st, should probably be pretty soon.

I personally wouldn't call the vet out for either the periople or the crack.

·
Super Moderator
18,134 Posts
@dustyk ....just saw your comment.
What about White Lightening gel?
Apply into what's left of the crack from the bit of flare and dry hoof you notice...
I have Cleantrax soak but have not used it, only WL....

@Newtoequines21 ... if you decide to soak the hooves you need 2 boots one for the product to soak in and the other so the "fumigation" that needs to take place is done according to directions for best results..
While you have the solution made, do 4 hooves as the organism for WLD is in the ground/soil so if one hoof is exposed, all hooves are exposed...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bet this horse grows a good amount of hoof during his cycle of trim time.
I see flare happening, hence the crack.
When the hoof is trimmed nearly all of that crack is going to be trimmed gone.
Because there is a crack does not mean there is WLD happening....
Watch, monitor and treat as needed when needed...if you wish to do a bit of proactive treatment White Lightening comes in a gel form you can squeeze some into the crack...
Welcome to the dry/wet scenario of rain then dry heat, rinse repeat near every day.

The coronet band as others said is = to our cuticle which can peel, shed, dry and rip off at times.
A bit of antibiotic cream rubbed in a few times a week will have this stop and look healthy as it grows back in.
This funny appearance also happens when the horses feet are wet for long periods of time from rain, flooded living conditions, snow and ice of winter...
🐴

1 - 9 of 9 Posts