The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my poor little pony Nippa cut open the underside of his dock last week. He had the vet out and was put on a course of antibiotics. I went out to check on everyone today, only to discover he has somehow pulled his tail off. Literally, snapped the bone about 2 - 3 inches from the base and ripped it off. I called the vet and he won't come out until tomorrow morning. Angry, but thats not relevant. Anyway, please send all your positive thoughts to my boy...I'm so scared for him.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
HowClever, I am so sorry for your pony. How horrible! Is there any other vet you can call? I would classify this as an emergency, but maybe the vet thinks differently?

Anyway, of course my positive thoughts will go to your little guy, and to you too! Keep us posted on how this will play out.

Take care,

Tess

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said he's not in any immediate danger because he's not bleeding (how he's not bleeding I have no idea) and he wouldn't be able to do anything in the dark. What kind of a vet doesn't have a portable light source???? Sorry, I'm trying to keep my emotions in check.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I agree, try a different vet!
Do you know what he pulled it off on?

I'll be thinking of you & him today!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Oh no, poor Nippa! I hope your vet makes it out first thing this morning and gets him sorted out - please keep us posted. Poor lil guy.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other vets in the area are much further away and honestly I have been less than impressed with their care in the past. Am I wrong in sticking with the vet I trust when he says he's in no immediate danger?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Indy

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I don't think you are wrong in wanting the vet you know and trust....however in an emergency situation, I think I'd try to find someone that can get there NOW, no matter who it is. If he has exposed bone and muscle, it seems like the waiting could be very detrimental.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might have to try and at least call the other vets, to see what they think

·
Registered
755 Posts
Poor boy!

The other vets in the area are much further away and honestly I have been less than impressed with their care in the past. Am I wrong in sticking with the vet I trust when he says he's in no immediate danger?
I would be very nervous that a vet that hasn't seen the horse would be so quick to say "he's fine", there is NO way the vet can know for sure so to assume that is ridiculous IMO.

If it were me, I'd go with another vet.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I agree with Indy... I'd want to get it taken care of right away to ward off any infection. But, if the other vets in the area aren't that great, then all you can do is wait.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
OH wow... I'd call around for a different vet. That has got to be something that needs to be looked at asap.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Hope our pony is feeling better quickly.

Have you been keeping the tail wrapped? If so, maybe the wrap was too tight (so easy to do) and it killed the tail. I have seen this happen.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh god, his tail was wrapped, i didn't think it was too tight. Although the original wound? could the wrap have caused that? It hasn't been wrapped since that happened.
I don't what I'll do if this is my fault.....

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Yes, a wrap can do that. And it is very easy to wrap a tail too tight.

But do not kill yourself with guilt. That will do no good now. Just get the vet out to make sure things are going to heal OK and move on.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry to keep asking questions of you Alwaysbehind. He was rubbing his tail before I put the wrap on (that is actually why I put the wrap on) and when the vet saw the original wound he said it was from him rubbing and now a week later the tails gone. Does that sound like it was the wrap? Or the rubbing?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Ok wait, your pony's entire tail is gone? Like bone, muscle, skin everything?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes. He has about 2 - 3 inches left, and the hair that is attached to those few inches.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh my gosh. Where it came off, was that were the upper edge of the bandage was?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.