The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am abit of a novice when it comes to riding (have been riding 9 months, however use to ride a few years ago and rode for many years) my horse is young ,rising 6, she is recoveing from an injured leg. When she is fit to be ridden again, I want to slowly start to ride and school her again. How do I do this, please tell me in simple terms? I want to build her and my confidence. And I have never cantered since I started riding again.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
I can't tell you when your horse is healed up enough to be ridden without actually seeing the horse. Sounds like you need some hands on help to get you on the right track to enjoying your horse properly and safely. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my horse is on the right track to being able to be ridden. My question was how do I slowly bring her into work again and how do I school her? I dont need to be told when she is healed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ask a vet. Her recovery will depend on the type and severity of her injury. You'll be adding intensity very slowly, starting with hand walking, and you'll need to keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't regressing. But you really should consult with a vet, or at least someone very knowledgeable who knows your horse.

Best of luck! When I was rehabbing my mare from a pulled leg muscle (took about 3 months), I found that our bond increased a lot, just from me spending more time hanging out with her and walking her around. It was neat. :)

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Start simple and for short sessions. Do lots of walking at first. Slowly increase your sessions. After a while start working in a little trotting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you, me and my mare have a amazing bond, even tho I have only owned her a short time (about 10 months) due to me having to do alot of 'ground work' , grooming her ect as when I first got her I found out I had to have a op. I have done work with her geting her over some fears she had, she hasnt had a great life at all for her first 4 and a half years.She is imporving and we go on regular short walks daily, to help her leg, her injury is a cut to her leg, small but deep, and its taking its time nitting together. On the ground and to do with her health I am pritty knowledgable
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.