The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got on my friends 3 year old ottb today. I've never ridden a more lazy, slow, pokey horse in my life!! She did get a little enthusiastic about a half seat, but im sure that is just her little track mind kicking in.

What would make a horse this slow? Especially one off the track. (shes been home since like August, with about a dozen rides on her since.) Id hate to use spurs to dull her more. She will get into a trot if I keep my legs on and keep giving little squeeze/kicks when she slows down. Shes a doll but soo lazy. My friend needed me to lead her away from the mounting block so she would walk.

Shes sounds, but she is due for a trim soon. Shes been regularly dewormed. Shes a hard keeper, but shes not a skeleton at all. If she dosent gain more weight my friend is thinking about a blood pannel. She wasnt colicy, restless or in distress at all. She is the dominant mare in the herd and very friendly towards everyone. I realize its going to take alot of retraining to fix this, to get her to think, "ok if I go forward the sqeezing will stop." She is somewhat energetic about cross rails.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
My OTTB was also kind of pokey for awhile I started carrying a crop and the problem was fixed. I never have actually had to use it, but just having it up there with me reinforces my cues enough, it seems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.