The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
simple task that I am seriously over-thinking. I then find myself over-thinking over-thinking.. I need a few simple pointers here.

A nice full posting trot as I approach the first pole.......no problem.
Rise into two point.......no real problem, but don't have my heels down.
I place them down, but it throws my concentration and I awkwardly get back into a post trot before my next pole. I feel a bit out of control as I'm trying to adjust my heel as I'm transitioning from my two point into my post as I'm starting into my next pole. If I could just keep my heels down as I approach the first pole I would be fine, but I don't. It is so simple, but it almost always throws my rhythm off when I go to make the transition between poles. It probably doesn't look as bad as it sounds, but it certainly isn't the seamless sequence I'm seeking.

Any sage advice ?

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Don't force your heels down. Just relax your ankles and allow them to stretch. At first, your ankles will be very tight and be unable to stretch very much. I tell students to stand with only their toes on a step. Then, relax the ankles and let them stretch as much as they will. DON'T BOUNCE THEM! Just keep using your weight to allow them to sink lower and lower.

The heels going down come from RELAXED ankles that sink with the weight and are flexible enough absorb the up and down movement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.