The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 16hh Thoroughbred that I use as a Western Pleasure, English Pleasure, Gaming, and Cow Horse. She has taken quite a like to running Poles which never used to be my best event or even one of my favorites. No one ever really taught me how to run poles, I just kind of watched others. The thing is that I have a horse that is long and tall... The horses I watched were QHs with short backs that could turn on a dime, if I did see someone with a horse with a long back they seemed to have the same issue as I did...

The last pole.

Our average time on Pole Weaving is a 17 sec. cantering it, but we always have issues getting around the last pole smoothly.

She is a very flexible horse, knows how to move her shoulders, hindquarters, really responsive to the bit. For gaming we use a Locked Gag with a plain dog bone mouthpiece which works amazing for us.

Any tips/ideas? Please remember this isn't your average little quarter horse.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Do you have a video that you could post? It would be helpful to see what you are already doing and what you could do different.

Chances are you are not pushing her deep enough so that she can get her hip around the pole.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a FB one of her running pole bending but it isn't really that good. But I have soome pictures I can try to upload but they are from July and it was only her 3rd time competing in poles and we were running in a snaffle, so I'm not sure if those would be accurate to how she is now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Won't let me view it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.