Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know some of you do it but not many my whole pony club does it,

And I'd like to try with my 7 year old mare can you plz give me some excersises I can do with her at my house or with a friend.

The rules would be good and how to get her into shape for it she is fatish but i'm working on it she has is a straight horse a little flighty but most pollocrosse horses are i've got good control.

And maybe some softening exersizes would be good shes good on the bit but everyone can get better right?

thanks Ireland
If you want I have a pic of how fat she is and her conformation

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
do you have a polocross stick and ball? you could practice steering with your seat and weight wiht only one hand... like do figureights and stuff (figure eights is a trick polocrosse riders use to try and get around the defence to get a goal)
then you can practice scooping up the ball from your horse, this will get her to knwo what your doign when you reach down, haha my first horse i tryed polocrosswith would think i was falling off and stop.
i would also recommend rubbing to stick all around her body when you walking/troting/cantering so that she doesnt get freaked out ever.

I am actually a dressage rider but i got suddenly interested in polocross, haha, so i went to a little 'practice' with a real team (they were soooo nice!) and they taught me all i know. haha so i dont knwo that much...i can also explain how they start a game...... :p have fun!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't, how much do they cost?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm geting her use to balls with a jolly ball

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
they only cost around 60$ canadian. haha i can try and find you the site we ordered ours from....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one lol

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
You need to have perfect, precise control one handed at high speeds. Get out there and gallop - No use practising slowly then getting out on the field and expecting your horse to behave the same when he is flat out with other horses pushing him.

Get him bendy - Lateral flexion both sides, leg yielding, shoulders in, and then work on his agility - roll backs, haunch turns, checking and accelerating at speed.

Also practice pushing and being pushed by other horses - this is where the yielding is used. Ride alogn next to another horse and practice pushing them over, then vice versa. Start slowly then work it up to a gallop.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I just have to wait for my friend to get back from her sisters

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll practise today

·
Registered