The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several different opinions coming at me about polo wraps; one trainer swears by them, refuses to let her horses out without wearing a set. She believes that they support and help prevent injury. I can see this being true in the sense that if a horse is moving extravagantly, there is a chance of one leg hitting, and possibly damaging another leg. However, I don't quite understand the "supporting" part of it.

Another trainer believes that the wraps generally do more bad than good, based on how they are put on and how hard the horse is working.

What are your opinons and experiences with polo wraps?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am more of a boot person. Less to deal with. I do use track bandages and have used polo wraps mostly for protection and support even if it is minimmal. There is some issue/debate with how much support they realy give and to me I just cant see them giving alot of Support in the way some ppl think they do. If wrapped right they might give some sesmoidal support but how much tendon support is debateable. But then again I feel the same with some types of boots. I usualy use such leg wraps/boots mostly for protection.
Polo or track bandages can definatly be wrapped to tight creating circulation prolems and tendon problems and if to loose can unravel and become entangled around the horse's legs/feet. So its important to know how to wrap properly.

I dont turn out with polo wraps and I dont go on trail rides with them (nor boots except splint boots) and I dont do cross country with them either (back when I did such things). Sometimes I will use them to wrap for shipping bandages over quilts but I usualy use track bandages for that. (I can control the tightness of a track bandage better).

Some ppl like them, some hate them, but I'm pretty indifferent about them. Like I said, I'm more partial towards various boots (depending what I need).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.