The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHES HOME! :D Just got back a couple hours ago with this little sweetheart! So excited to start working with her!! Anyway heres some info on her; she's 8yrs, green broke [I realize shes gotten started a bit late but I do care I got her because of this!], about 14.2ish hh, virtually untouched/desensitized to anything/spooky. This little cutie is going to be my new project and I think with work she'll be perfect! :)
Anyway heres the conformation pics [I realize the halter is going in her eye in a few of the pictures, she wouldn't stand still long enough for me to fix it and have my sister take the picture! But after the picture was taken I'd readjust it]:

·
Registered
868 Posts
In a couple she looks a bit down hill, but in another couple she looks just fine! So...not sure if it's the ground ;) I think she's a cutie! Like you, I like projects!

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Interesting conformation...is she a cross?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a couple she looks a bit down hill, but in another couple she looks just fine! So...not sure if it's the ground ;) I think she's a cutie! Like you, I like projects!
I think she might be slightly, but I think it's mostly the ground. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what I can see form those pictures is that she has a thick neck and something about it seems wonky- probably just the pictures. She looks like she has a long back with a weaker loin. And a straight shoulder? Just my .02 cents- I may be way off.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can see form those pictures is that she has a thick neck and something about it seems wonky- probably just the pictures. She looks like she has a long back with a weaker loin. And a straight shoulder? Just my .02 cents- I may be way off.
She does have a HUGE neck, I didn't think her shoulder was that straight but here's pictures of her in the summer I got from her old owner. http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/potential-buy-critique-wanted-109829/ My camera isn't the best and with her fuzzy winter coat my camera was kinda like "Take good conformation pictures? Huh! You're funny." :wink:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Okay here are my two cents, not that they are worth a hill of beans. lol

First off she has a huge thick neck and her face sort of has a mulish look to it. I think she is adorable though. Second, her legs look so tiny! Like she has these itty bitty legs holding up that huge body! The one photo seems like her (as you're looking at her) left foot turns slightly.

I don't really know anything about any of this so, it is just what I see. Also, I feel sorry for appy's as their manes and tales are so scraggly. My friends appy Vodka had the worst mane and tail.

I love her coloring though. She is a beauty.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
They said POA pony, but yeah I think cross. What does "interesting conformation" mean exactly? LOL
"Interesting" means odd in this case. She is very unbalanced - her front and rear almost appear to come from two different horses, which is why I asked if she was a cross. To put it otherwise, her front looks Shetland and her rear looks Appy.

That is not to say it is bad conformation - just different. Perhaps this is normal in POA's - not being a POA person, I don't know...

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
She is a bit long in the back.. and she is not going to pop her knees up over fences due to the angle of her point of shoulder. However, she looks very useful and you will have some fun with this one!

When using a chain over a horse's nose the correct way is to run the chain through the near nose band ring, take a wrap around the nose band, then run it through the off nose band ring and then UP ALONG the Cheek Piece to the ring that attached to the throat piece and the crown piece on the off side. This is how you lead stallions and yearlings.

Most leads with chains are made with the chain too short.. the chain should be 30 inches long so you can configure it correctly. Taking a single wrap around the nose band will allow the chain to get the horse's attention but will not allow the chain to do all the work and do severe damage to the nose or injure the skin. Learned this handling horses for yearling sales (Thorougbred race horses). Those young 'uns have to have all their skin intact.. but they are firey and you do need to be able to get their attention.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
PS: One of the best horses I ever knew was a POA and he lived and worked into his 30's.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to change this to a "name my pretty pony" thread, but I'm thinking of naming her Annie and having her show name as Plain Jane, any thoughts? After the song Annie by Safteysuit ---> Safetysuit - Annie - YouTube

·
Registered
422 Posts
This little one doesn't have a name? Ah poor thing. I like Annie. Especially because she has a mule looking face to me and Annie is an awesome mule name.

·
Registered
422 Posts
What???? I honestly would LOVE to own a mule! They are so freaking adorable. And I would name her Annie or Sally if a girl and Hank or Harold if it was a boy. LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.