The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Yesterday Sis decided to drive the mini as he hasn't done any cart work for two years and it was time to re-aquaint him with the cart. We took our time and she line drove him for a few minutes then got the cart out and I pulled the cart as she drove him beside and in front of it then hooked him up. He was a star and she drove him around the paddock then out around the lawns for a while

Then today we hooked him up again and I got the pony out and we went for a drive down the road and in the farm lane back to the woods. We weren't sure how the pony would react to the mini and cart but she never turned a hair, it just didn't bother her at all, I'm not sure the big horses would have done as well, even when Sis trotted up behind to catch up with us.
It makes us wonder if at some time in her life she was driven as well so was comfortable with the cart.

Anyway we were very pleased with our two little stars today and when the wheat harvest if over we will be able to do a lot more of this, so Ponies Look OUt!
I think we have more fun with them than the grandchildren do.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
How fun!:)

Pony is a cutie and yes, I would say this is not Pony’s first driving venture; he has an excellent trainer to reacquaint him:)

You and your sis need someone taking videos of the two you sporting around together:)

Sideways or not, the picture is still terrific:)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Regal it was upright in the computer ?? don't know what happened/
We started the mini driving two years ago and Sis began by line driving him and did a lot of that, up the road into all the neighbours and around fields, back the farm lanes and into the woods. He was so firmly grounded on it and all the verbal commands.
Then out with the cart beside him, me pulling the cart and leading the mini was a source of humour for the the neighbours - what is wrong with this picture.
then hooking him up and both of leading until he was comfortable, then Sis walking behind driving, me leading, then driving solo.

We took our time and I think it paid off as he hasn't forgotten anything.

The pony is 12.1H and is for the GD but they haven't been doing much with her right now and sis likes to keep her going so that's what we will do when she drives the mini, I will go with her on the pony. The pony was so good we think she is no stranger to carts so if we can piece together a harness that fits her we may try driving her as well.

I worked with draft horses when a teenager going to a farm that used them so i could harness etc and drive them. I mowed hay and drove the team for loading hay on the wagons, It was the hight point of my summer.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I worked with draft horses when a teenager going to a farm that used them so i could harness etc and drive them. I mowed hay and drove the team for loading hay on the wagons, It was the hight point of my summer.
It seems the old time methods in Canada are the same as those in NE Ohio, where I grew up:)

Wood and Walk” broke horses using the same tractor paths, woods and pulled the same hay wagons:)

Except my HighPoint was a 4-pony hitch and granddad issuing the warning, if I tipped the wagon coming up, onto the tractor lane, I would be the one picking up the hay bales:)

It was a great lesson in learning to pay attention to what I was doing, thus telling the team (that my cousin & I had broke) what to do:)

Seems like that was not all that long ago———. We were lucky kids, weren’t we:cowboy::cowboy:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Walk yes we were lucky to have these times and memories.
In High SChool I was an average student until I had the chance to go to this farm and help with the haying. In school if you got over 66% in exams at Christmas and Easter you were exempt from writing in Jun. I suddenly became an honour student as I wanted to get out in time for haying usually in late June.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/attach]
Another pony day at the farm, this time with the proper riders, Sis's Gds. They enjoy being with the ponies and have taken lessons for a couple of years.
I see that the one GD on the pinto is using Gramma's saddle and it looks like the stirrups could be lengthened for her. A heck of a thing when your 11yr old GD needs the stirrups longer.
The shaggy looking one is Sis she sure needs a hair cut and is hoping to get one soon.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts