The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pony has become increasingly unhappy being fly sprayed. I’ve tried spraying him at random times, spraying him while he’s eating his favorite foods, giving cookies while spraying, and using rub-on lotion (which he doesn’t like either). I checked out his skin, and it doesn’t seem like the spray is causing any reactions. Today it got so bad that he threatened to kick me. I don’t think he would have actually kicked me, but he cocked his leg in a threatening manner and gave me a look. Of course, I thunked him on the butt and said “NO!” loudly and we moved on, but the problem remains that he doesn’t like fly products. Do I have any other options, or do I just need to accept him being eaten by flies?

Aside from this issue, his contrariness / stubborness issues have been getting WAY better the past few months, so this doesn’t seem to be part of any bigger problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First put some water in a spray bottle. If he is fine with you spraying it all over him then it might be the smell of the fly spray. If he doesn't like you spraying him at all use a wet rag and rub it all over his body, after he gets used to it (it may take a while) spray fly spray on a rag and rub him down with it. Get a hose and turn it on mist mode spray him down that will get him used to the feeling of being sprayed.

If it is the smell of the fly spray then try putting some lavender or mint (or both) in it. They are very calming scents and with help with the smell.

·
Registered
49,434 Posts
Good suggestions^

ARe you spraying him while in cross ties? iF necessary, you might do it with him on a leadrope, out on the lawn, perhaps. Allow him to move in circles around you if he needs to. Keep spraying (initially wiht the water only, as suggested) and don't stop when he moves around . Just hold the line short enough that his head is closer to you than his hind. you step around in a small circle WITH him, continueing to spray no matter that he tries to move away from you.

The instant he stops moving, you stop spraying and reward him. rest for a bit, pet him. Then begin again. stop spraying when he stops moving, give him a break, a pet, then begin again. Eventually, he will just stand for it. then you spray a bit, pause, pet, spray, pause pet. But, the freedom for him to move through his irritation may help him adjust and accept it.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@tinyliny No, we have these "tacking paddocks" at my barn that are about 12 x 12 and I had him loose in one of those. And he was definiitely moving around a lot, LOL.
@sorrelmare11 I had also thought about trying with water to see, but then I thought, ugh what a pain I'll have to find an empty spray bottle, clean it out, fill it up, etc. etc. etc. But I will do it. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ACinATX,
Don't feel too bad. Our donkey, Fred, and our mini, Angel, would rather walk on glass than be sprayed with fly spray.
So, what we do is to put a halter and lead rope on them so we can hold them close like tinyliny said, and spray them that way. Also, out in the open. They don't like it, but we get it done that way.
Of course our two TWH's love the spray, never have a problem with them...

Good Luck.

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Super Moderator
14,725 Posts
Well...since you need to get the stuff on him..
A large towel that you spray and then wipe his coat with gets the job done with little fuss and your safety not jeopardized.
I keep my fly spray in a bottle for ease of use too, but a horse with fear...spritz that towel/rag and then wipe them down.
I actually find I use less spray as there is not waste of spraying the air...
I control exactly where it is applied and how heavily...face, legs, ears are easily reached and treated.

While you work the issue of or if you never "desensitize" to spray bottles at least you get the animal some fly relief.
I have also found that making the "psst" sound just with my mouth helps to lessen some of the fear and reaction when just done randomly do this in close proximinty to the horse...done when your hands are touching seems to connect that the noise isn't going to hurt them when they hear it with their sensitive hearing.
Good luck.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.