The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get a pony in the next couple of months. I have a regular sized mare already, who lives boarded on dry pasture with other mares. I am wondering what the best option would be for me in terms of housing the new pony. I've read that it isn't safe to keep ponies and full-sized horses together, because of the danger of the bigger horse accidentally injuring the pony. At the same time, I've read that ponies, like horses, should not live alone. I'm also concerned about predators and the safety of the pony if she's all alone on a pasture with coyotes living in the area. So what the heck am I to make of all this? Is it not a good idea to get a pony at all unless I can get a whole herd of them to live together? That just seems crazy.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Put them together. I mean, it's not a mini is it? My Pony (13.2hh) has always lived with a mixed herd. I think the only problem is that he tends to be pretty dominant and can be a butt to the other horses sometimes. Where I board, ponies as small as 12hh are put with the horses, and in fact there are mini donkeys in our pasture as well.

Reactions: secuono

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My horse is very submissive, so I think she'd get along with any pony. But we might be getting a pony as small as 9 or 10 hands high. Our horse is 15 hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts