Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm sure this question has been done to death, but I need your input.
Bit of background, I have no experience with ponies. I grew up riding full size horses so I have no frame of reference to fall back on.

The woman I'm shareboarding from just bought a pony for her kids. He's an ex-eventer, great with kids, and of course...ridiculously cute =)
He's been off work for about 6 months, though, so she asked if I would get on him and take him out on trail, just to make sure he's tuned up. She said it would be fine, but I'm a little worried that I'm too big for him. He looks to be about 13 hands; I'm not sure on his weight, but he looks healthy (not too fat, not too skinny). He's middle aged, clean legs, and a reasonably stocky build. I'm 130 pounds and have good balance (solid intermediate rider if I had to classify myself).
I'm just nervous, because I have no experience with ponies, that I might hurt his back. We wouldn't be doing anything too strenuous. The trials are pretty flat. Thoughts?

thanks in advance

PS His name is Lunchbox....is that not the cutest name for a pony?!?!

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I think it would be easier to provide input if you could post a picture of the pony, with her permission of course. If the pony is long legged and lightly built it might not be a good idea, but a "regular" pony or a stocky one would probably be OK. There are many variables.

Other options would be to do a lot of groundwork with the pony, including lunge work and have the children ride the pony on the lunge initially until everyone is more aware of training, behaviors, abilities...

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Pictures would definitely help.

I weigh 120ish and ride my 12.3hh fjord, but she has the "stocky fjord build" going for her and can definitely hold me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill try to get a picture. What other variables would i need to consider?

Hes been fine with the kids in the arena so im not sure lunging is going to help (cant lunge on the trails). Im assuming she may pony the pony the first couple of times her kids take him out.

Poseidon, she is adorable! Hes not as stocky as her definitely. Id say hes probably "medium build" from what ive seen of pony sale ads.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
More than likely you will be fine. I abuse my grade welsh pony terribly by riding her all the time. She's 13.2hh and (should weigh) 800 lbs or so, I am 5'9" and 145-150 lbs. She handles me just fine without faltering in the slightest for all day rides trotting/cantering with some walking.

Just pay attention to your horse, the fact that you are concerned tells me that you will probably be aware enough to stop riding if you are too much for him. The biggest issue I have with riding a pony is staying out of their way and balancing correctly.

If I can get the pics to work I will show you.. Unfortunately I'm being defeated.

Please ignore how horrid we both look here...

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
sorry, but this photo is too cute! gotta report your for pony abuse and a good rider position!

I think ponies are generally stronger, pound for pound, than are horses. my feeling is that you will be fine. you might find it harder to ride a little horse like that, compared to your past rides. there's a lot less room for error in the balance department.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Lol Thank you, Tiny!

We were in the midst of figuring out a decent saddle for the both of us. Short backed, butt high, shark withered pony combined with a too tall and long-legged rider make for an interesting challenge!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Providing that the pony has moderately good conformation, then I see no reason why you couldn't ride him out on the trails. I, like MNT, have been a pony abuser. I took in a Shetland x QH for a customer last summer and used the heck out of that little guy. I weigh around 135 but with my heavy western saddle, total riding weight is close to 180. He was 13 hands even and maybe weighed 600 pounds.

He carried me for 8+ hour days in a feedlot and I even roped off him once. He never struggled (except for the roping, he did have a little trouble dragging a cow that was as big as he was ;-)) and never faltered.

I really fell in love with that little guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.