The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better when ponying a horse, rope or web halter?

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I've never ponied in a rope halter but just from lunging in a rope halter I've seen the halter twist around in all sorts of funny ways, making me think that if the ponied horse decides to be interesting (if you know what I mean, haha) a rope halter could twist around weirdly and leave you with less control. I've never had a nylon halter twist as much as a rope halter during lunging so I personally would go with a nylon halter.
I'm totally not an expert though and I've only ponied a few times...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whenever I've ponied a horse I've used a rawhide bosal with a web halter underneath. I hook to the bottom loop on the halter through the bottom of the nosepiece on the bosal. So I would definitely use a web halter instead of a rope halter.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think it depends on the horse being ponied, horse ponying off of, if you're just teaching them to pony or if they've done it before, how far you're going...so many variables.

For teaching a youngster off a solid mount, I'd stick to my rope halter. Take it slow obviously, you're just teaching them to lead from horseback. I find in the rope halter, they don't try to balk/refuse to move as much. Once they're trained to pony, use whatever you normally have on them.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
ive only ever ponied in a bridle, but if i were to pony in a halter i would use a rope halter

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I can see how a web halter might be easier, you can simply clip the lead on the bottom ring and run it through the near side ring and not have to worry about twisting which you do if you use a rope. But if the horse you are ponying is well behaved and used to being ponied I would use a rope halter just because I prefer them....

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I don't own anything but a rope halter and if they are fitted and tied correctly then you will have no problem leading with them from another horse.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I've always used a Rope Halter and never had a problem...:D BUT I think the key is knowing that these horses know how to give to the pressure already, so they aren't just going to duck under, or away from it...you don't just pony a horse who just learned how to lead yesterday...

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I used web.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
you don't just pony a horse who just learned how to lead yesterday...
I do. I use another horse to teach leading. Ponying is no different than leading if you would lead your horse on the ground with a rope halter the you should be able to lead from the saddle with a rope halter. There are plenty of complex principles in dealing with horses we don't need to make simple things like leading from a horse into big problems.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ponied Saro when she was younger. She is what I would call green broke now, but with her stifle lock problem I want to start ponying her with Vida every time we go out. She has been trail ridden with me in the saddle but has never been out on our trails being ponied. I plan on taking it slow, only a few miles at a time.
Another question, I have a couple of 14' lead ropes and lots of short 9-10'. Is shorter or longer better? I know not to dally the rope, I don't have a horn on Vida's saddle anyway.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i use a rope halter, mine never twists,ever.
vidaloco: i would think a longer rope would be better, just in case the horse started backing up or running around like an idiot you would still have a chance to hold on :p

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Why wouldn't you dally the rope? If I think they maight get away you bet I'm going to dally and keep them with me. Otherwise, I would have a loose horse and that wouldn't be safe.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I do. I use another horse to teach leading. Ponying is no different than leading if you would lead your horse on the ground with a rope halter the you should be able to lead from the saddle with a rope halter. There are plenty of complex principles in dealing with horses we don't need to make simple things like leading from a horse into big problems.
I just prefer to know that a horse knows how to give to the halter, know how to yield his fore and hind quarters etc, before I pony him; I know you CAN pony him right away, I just don't like to do it that way...I prefer to sort things out from the ground first, then be able to get on and have ponying be easy. I guess if I wasn't always taking on green horses myself, it would be easier to do it that way, but I only usually own one horse at a time, so unless I have access to another to work my horse from, I can't always teach ponying 'right away'. However, because of the work I do put into them when I do get around to ponying them it has always been easy; whether they are the one being ponied, or the one ponying another horse. :D

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got in a argument here some time ago about dallying when ponying I was all for it and most thought it was dangerous. Thus the non dally stance. :lol: It was to avoid an argument.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Personally, I use a rope halter with a tied in lead. I prefer a shorter lead as I double the lead in my hand…never looped or tied to the saddle…and there's still enough to wrap an emergency dally a couple of times around if I need to.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seriously? I've used ponying to teach a horse to lead...almost works faster that way!

As for dallying, I'm assuming you mean to just loops the lead around the horn a time or two to create leverage? I would never actually TIE the lead to my horn. But like kevinshorses stated - a loose horse is dangerous and I'm not letting go unless it's absolutely necessary, which I have yet to find that situation. I've had a ponyer panic and reef back, scoot sideways, cut of the ponying horse to make us have to turn...but not once have I had to let go. Then again I've always had a horn - without that, you bet I would've lost my ponyer a couple times!

Sorry for the rant...I'd stick to a rope halter and horn...

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I guess it all depends on how you teach them how to lead...I don't pull on a horse's head and hope to win him over into leading; now if that's not what you're suggesting, then fine, but, I'm guessing it has to do somewhat with being able to out muscle the horse to a point and him 'having' to give in... The two 20 month olds I am training here were likely originally trained to lead that way, and let me tell you they plant their feet as soon as they think someone is going to try and haul them foward.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hadn't much thought about it, but I think I'll dust off my saddle with the horn. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.