The Horse Forum banner

Pony's color and undercolor?

606 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  stevenson
Pony fades out every late summer. I used to wonder if he was maybe a seal bay, because he fades so much. But today I was looking at him and I thought: he has yellowish undertones! But I've always thought he had reddish undertones because his mane fades out red (see picture of his forelock).

He posed against the yellowish hay bales so you could see. What do you guys think? Does he have yellowish undertones? Or are they red? I'm just wondering what other people see here.

(His coat grows in nice and black).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is him late winter, when his winter coat has already faded a bit.

Attachments

· Banned
289 Posts
I think he's Black, he just fades badly during the summer. The therapy barn I used to volunteer at had an (Ancient!) black pony mare who used to do the same thing every summer.

You can always have Pony genetically tested if you're absolutely desperate to know.

· Super Moderator
17,197 Posts

This thread had pictures of one of my smokey blacks.

Reactions: Linoone

· Registered
5,926 Posts
I would guess that he is black.
My genetically black mare has faded like that in the past. She has no cream, no nd1 just black. I changed her diet and she doesn't fade nearly as much. Except for this summer. Something is going on with her and I have to figure it out. She hasn't faded this much for about five years or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts