The Horse Forum banner

popular QH cutting lines?

9325 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jmike
what are some of the popular QH cutting lines?

I see highbrow cat and smart little lena are lines that people want, but what are some others and why?

which ones are the bigger (stockier vs taller) lines?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Cutting lines usually through pretty wide and stocky foals, but for the really sought over lines that are going in the show pen you really not going to find anything over 15 hands at the absolute most.
Besides High Brow Cat Smart little Lena and their progeny Peptoboonsmal is rather popular and Peptos Stylish Oak is getting up there in popularity. Actually I've heard a lot of people have been breeding to Peptos Stylish Oak to get his height along with a good cutting back round. And He's 15hh, so that kinda shows the top end of the height spectrum for winning cutting horses.

· Registered
6,030 Posts
There are basically 3 sire line that almost all cutting horses come through. These are:

1) Doc Bar -- predominantly through Doc O'Lena. Other Doc Bar sons have produced top horses, but none have come close to what Doc O'Lena has sired.

2) Peppy San & Mr San Peppy -- predominantly through Peppy San Badger.

3) Jewels Leo Bars -- predominantly through Freckles Playboy and Colonel Freckles.

This limited seed-stock pool has become a real problem for the cutting industry as it gives them no out-crosses without sacrificing quickness and ability, so they have inbred and linebred themselves into a corner -- so to speak.

The Doc O'Lenas, through Smart Little Lena and Higbrow Cat have very light bone and not a lot of size in any of them.

The King Ranch horses (through peppy San and Mr San Peppy) have a lot more bone and some have more height. They also come with a lot of buck and attitude.

The 'Freckles' horses are my favorites. You can find a lot of them with both size and bone and a lot of ability. I, personally. like the Colonel Freckles horses over the Playboys, but both lines sire a lot more size and substance than the linebred Doc Bars. Almost all of them come from Doc Bar crosses, so you have to hunt out the big ones. Our Sr. stallion is a Colonel Freckles bred horse.

We had a Playgun son that was 15.3 and sired horses that were too tall and leggy so we sold him. I only have one of his daughters left. I have owned several Playboy daughters. All had more size than most of the horses going to the NCHA cutting pen.

We leased a Real Gun son the last two years. Real Gun was a son of Playgun that was AQHA Super Horse several years ago. He was a top 'all-around' horse with AQHA points in 7 or 8 events, a top roping horse and a top reined cowhorse. The Real Gun son we leased was 14.3 and several of the foals we have from him are going to be 15 hands or more. We will have 4 foals from him next year. He is out of a Topsail Cody mare, by the way.

You really have to watch for the HERDA gene in the Doc O'Lenas as both SLL and HBC are HERDA carriers.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are basically 3 sire line that almost all cutting horses come through. These are:

1) Doc Bar -- predominantly through Doc O'Lena. Other Doc Bar sons have produced top horses, but none have come close to what Doc O'Lena has sired.

2) Peppy San & Mr San Peppy -- predominantly through Peppy San Badger.

3) Jewels Leo Bars -- predominantly through Freckles Playboy and Colonel Freckles.

This limited seed-stock pool has become a real problem for the cutting industry as it gives them no out-crosses without sacrificing quickness and ability, so they have inbred and linebred themselves into a corner -- so to speak.

The Doc O'Lenas, through Smart Little Lena and Higbrow Cat have very light bone and not a lot of size in any of them.

The King Ranch horses (through peppy San and Mr San Peppy) have a lot more bone and some have more height. They also come with a lot of buck and attitude.

The 'Freckles' horses are my favorites. You can find a lot of them with both size and bone and a lot of ability. I, personally. like the Colonel Freckles horses over the Playboys, but both lines sire a lot more size and substance than the linebred Doc Bars. Almost all of them come from Doc Bar crosses, so you have to hunt out the big ones. Our Sr. stallion is a Colonel Freckles bred horse.

We had a Playgun son that was 15.3 and sired horses that were too tall and leggy so we sold him. I only have one of his daughters left. I have owned several Playboy daughters. All had more size than most of the horses going to the NCHA cutting pen.

We leased a Real Gun son the last two years. Real Gun was a son of Playgun that was AQHA Super Horse several years ago. He was a top 'all-around' horse with AQHA points in 7 or 8 events, a top roping horse and a top reined cowhorse. The Real Gun son we leased was 14.3 and several of the foals we have from him are going to be 15 hands or more. We will have 4 foals from him next year. He is out of a Topsail Cody mare, by the way.

You really have to watch for the HERDA gene in the Doc O'Lenas as both SLL and HBC are HERDA carriers.
i don't have any of the names that you have in Flash
i will have to read up on Colonel Freckles

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any other good lines besides Colonel Freckles, Higbrow Cat, Mr San Peppy, and Smart Little Lena?

Are Hancock horses good for cutting?

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like colonel freckles is the way to go :)

i got mr san peppy way back - 5 generations
smart little lena 3 generations
docs hickory 3 generations back
makes highbrow cat breeding too close

leaving colonel freckles type to widen the gene pool a little

thanks ... 5 more years to wait and think

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're talking about your young one, Whiskey, right?

What is her registered name? I've seen some comments (generally ignored) that she has really great cutting horse breeding.
Dwm no foolin around - she is in allbreedpedigree

I might not ever breed her, but i like to think "what if" and research the subject
so i am looking into ideal matchups
Her full sister is apparently really good at barrels
She is extremely smart and has really amazing balance
2 years 8 months old - right now she is at 14.2hh
Not a fan of her feet - but every thing else is awesome

Her attitude is greatly improved by work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.