The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used saddle pads with poron in them, or used the poron shims? They're apparently amazing for shock absorption, but how much benefit does this material really provide in practice? Would they have any benefit over a good quality wool saddle pad?

A material with such great shock absorption intrigues me, but I don't know anyone who's tried a real shock absorbing material in their horses tack. Shocking that nobody has come up with poron rim pads for shoeing yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Several of the women I know either use a pad with poron or they use thin line. I had one that I used when I was riding more and lent it out and it was never returned. The thin line keeps the saddle stable and is a good shock absorber. Those I know that have horses that get sore backs easily from riders that bounce around say the pads have helped tremendously.

My son's instructor has a pad she has had for years that still works well.

There were pads we used between the shoe and rim during the fall and winter when we were doing road work. It was there for shock absorbtion. I have seen poron pads for shoes but I want to say they cover the sole too. I've never seen one applied but I'd assume they don't cut to the shape of the shoe and just add between shoe and foot as they are in a hoof shape.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts