The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see that im pretty perched forward, my heels could come down more, and my lower leg needs to come back a tad more.

Anything else??

This is little, the horse im training for a friend while shes away.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Your leg is fine, it's just because you're perched forward that it looks wonky. Keep your leg there, sit back, sink those heels down and you'll look great!

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Lower leg needs to come forward until the stirrup leather is perpendicular. Leg firmly underneath you will give you the stability to bring your upper body back and bring your shoulder over your hip.

For trotting over poles, I actually think a slight forward orientation in your upper body is fine, but I would like to see you have a more secure base in your lower leg with more weight in your heel and lower leg underneath you.

Imagine that the horse disappeared from underneath you - would you land balanced on your feet or wouild you fall forward?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the critiques! :)

Ill be riding today, so i'll keep everything in mind!

My heels seem to be my biggest issue.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I can see that im pretty perched forward, my heels could come down more, and my lower leg needs to come back a tad more.

Anything else??

This is little, the horse im training for a friend while shes away.
What position you are in depends on what you are working on with the trot poles. What is the goal? Getting the horse to pick up it's feet? Extend stride? Round up and collect?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I agree with Maura, but I would like to see your hands carried better than where they are now. When you carry your hands that low, the rest of your body will follow - pick them up, close your elbow angle, open your chest, lift your heart and aid your horse to come up to you.

Your hands, arms, shoulders will be far more functional when carried properly.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always feel like I look ridiculous if I have my hands higher.. but maybe thats just me :p Ill work on it! Thanks for the reply MIE!

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Agree with MIE; I alway focus on the leg and body first when critiquing and sometimes neglect the hands.

The fault with your hand and arm is what I call a "soft" fault - it comes from the rider's attempt to stay off of the horse's mouth, but it actually makes your hand and arm less functional. The first step is to bring your elbow back to your body and make sure your kept a definite bend to the elbow. Then check for the straight line from the bit, through the lower arm and to the elbow. Don't focus on how high your hands are, focus on that straight line and the bend in the elbow.

It may help to remember that "soft hands" is a misnomer - soft hands come from a soft elbow and a following arm. If you straighten your arm, as in the photo above, you actually lose the ability to follow the horse's motion with your hand and arm.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah okay I see. Yeah I try and stay out of the horses mouth as much as possible. But I can see what your saying! I've been working on following with my hands, and have been having a slight issue with it so this may be why. Thanks for the thought out reply! Really helpful. :]

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I don't think you'll land standing up if that horse dissappears.

I'm not a good english riding critic, but I'm learning....correct me if I'm wrong.

Your leg position looks good but maybe lean back a bit more. Like you said, you're perching forward. And I can't really see your hands very well but I would loosen the reins and have a bit of a lighter touch. Merf. Western is so much easier for me <3

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think all you need to do is keep a nice bend in your elbows, and remember to sink them heels which will also help you sit better.Try to keep them THUMBS ON TOP and not to turn them in and block the connect from your hand to the horses mouth. otherwise keep up the good work :D[/COLOR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.