The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horses are very sensitive, if they can feel a fly land on their withers then they can sure as heck feel every move you make in the saddle!

I have been riding bareback mroe often, so I can ride fluently in both saddle and bareback, so far so good! Right now we are just going all speeds around the arena and a little bit of jumping.

Well, I thought I would share with you one reason why it is important to always keep your position correct, no matter the speed or what you are doing.

I was loping my horse the other day, and he decided to do a little bucking (I didn't fall off and I was wearing a helmet!! Thank you god, haha!)
Well, I foudn out the reason why. I also did the same thing during fair when I rode him, the last time he bucked with me bareback.

When I lope fine with him, I sit tall, my body moves with him and I hold onto his mane and also my legs help keep my in position and on the horse. My toes are up and heels are down.

Well, when Brisco bucked yesterday, (and for this same reason at fair) It was the way I was holding on that was making him uncomfortable.
Usually I hold on with my legs, toes up and heels down - my feet never come in contact with his side. Well, my head was in the clouds and I was enjoying riding too much that I forgot to keep my feet correct. So when we loped, my legs and heels held on. My heels and feet were touching, toes down. This made him uncomfortable and he decided to let me know by doing a little mini-buck.

I just thought i would share this with you all, so you all know how important it is to always maintain your riding position.
I'm glad I didn't fall off either times - especially at fair when I was dumb enough to not wear a helmet bareback.

Keep your toes up and heels down!

Happy riding!

Registered
More than likely it was he felt you were not paying attention and decided to test that theory out.

And when loping you get into more of a rhythm too and that is usually when one will try this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has only bucked two times while I have rode him in the past two years - both times I found out it was because of the way my heels/feet touched and helped me keep in place and my balance, etc.

Brisco used to test me, he would do mini-rears and really nice reining spins I could never get him to do when I asked, and he would back up and not go forward as well as hardly leaving the gate.
But in the past few months since fair he has not tested me, and I am so happy we have progressed that far, because even though it may still seem like a small thing to get over - it does help to improve quite a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.