The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am pondering the idea of breeding my 14.2 hand 8 year old bay morgan mare to this stud. He is a 2005, has produced many foals, not reg. He is 15.4 hands. 1,200 lbs. What do you guys think of him? I would be keeping the baby more then likely.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
No, his pasterns are scary upright, he lacks registration so would produce basically grade foals, other than his color he really does not have much to offer. There are horses with nice or nicer color and lots of under saddle achievements and better conformation than him.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
So I'm in love with the fact that he looks like a Dalmatian but something is off about him...something in his legs. Not so much just his pasterns. Something else. But I don't know what it is.

But he's sure cute. He can come live in my barn. After a trip to the vet :wink:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What are you guys seeing that you don't like besides the pasterns? Would this effect soundness. I know the baby would be grade. I plan to keep it and just use it for trails and stuff around here. Not showing. To me it looks like his back hooves were cut to short.

·
Registered
976 Posts
His legs are scary all around op. he's posty and thin and he has NO muscle. His legs are steep and posty and I don't see him staying sound for very long. Him or his babies. He's got no depth to his girth or his flank meaning he's gonna have a hard time doing long work because he's not gonna have the capacity to store air. He's not worth it as a stud op. in fact I'd pass him up as a riding horse.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
As a trail horse he would not stand up. You say you would more than likely keep the foal. The problem is that life gets really complex and sometimes the best laid plans go sideways. Which is why a horse needs appeal and a grade horse does not have as much appeal for may individuals. That said, a grade a horse is better than a sound purebred horse. The problem is that this stallion looks like he might throw a unsound, grade foal who would have little chance on the wider market. Another thing to think about is that what makes this stallion a good choice for what you want. You want a trail horse. Is this stallion a good horse on the trail? Is he generally unflappable and level headed? Is he able to be ridden for miles without being sore or unsound? I just ask because if this horse was not the color he is he would have been gelded. If he was a bay would you be still considering breeding to him?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Is he an Appy or a Knabstrupper? Do you know anything about his breeding?

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
I don't think its a good enough photo to give a true critique from - can you not get something better for us?
If your mare is purebred would it not be better to breed another purebred from her?
What would you be breeding for in terms of a competition horse or trail horse?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey.
Personally, I'd like to see him move in reality, much due to image two.
I think he is beautiful but strange leg movement looks like he can not stretching out properly, may depend on the image.
My advice is be careful and check him out thoroughly and ask and get X-rays of joints and hocks.

greets Lorden

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think its a good enough photo to give a true critique from - can you not get something better for us?
If your mare is purebred would it not be better to breed another purebred from her?
What would you be breeding for in terms of a competition horse or trail horse?
I just got another pic of him and foals he has sired. And I am looking for something that carries the morgan personality, some of the movement, but has more chrome. And this guy does throw that. Also, at some point I do plan to breed her to a purebred, I just haven't found something I like yet, she isn't papered, so the baby of that crossing also wouldnt be.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Ok, time for the standard lecture..buy don't breed.

Next it would help if you post pics of your mare, sometimes a fault with a stallion can be overlooked because the mare has strength in that area. This guy however, there is nothing about him, apart from a pretty color that makes him stud worthy. If he had been plain bay he would be a gelding by now.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I think it is telling that all the photos of babies don't show their lower legs. There are no solid conformation pictures of any of his foals over maybe 3 months of age. None of them show those foals doing anything other than having a pretty pattern. What are his offspring doing as adults? What strengths does your mare have? What weaknesses. A stud should complement its mare and vice versa. Its much easier to get a foal that is on the ground than to try to breed your own.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.