The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding at a stable where I am a working student.
My instructor is free leasing a gelding that is for sale, and she is trying to sell him for his owners.

He is 10 year old, 16-16.2hh (I forget!) TB gelding, never raced.
His personality is just awesome and he loves people, but he is a bit head shy. He also has some sort of skin infection/disease that causes him to be really really itchy in his back legs... he almost falls over when you scratch him there. So, that would need to be cleared up.
When I rode him, he was such a good boy. Pretty strong though, as he hasn't been ridden in a couple years. He has 2nd level dressage training, but needs a refresher.
He's the perfect size for me and so perfect... but the only thing that I can't convince myself to get over is his extremely bouncy trot. He has the world's most bounciest trot in my opinion... haha.
He is a real workout to ride (which is good in some ways!), but I love riding bareback :[
I haven't chosen a specific discipline that I like.. I mainly like pleasure riding, and especially bareback/bridless :]

He seems like he'd be an awesome eventing horse, cross country, or trail riding. He loves trail riding, and isn't very spooky at all. He is pretty confident on the trails too, which I like.

Anyways... I watched a video of me on him, and I like the way we look together, and I love his personality.
But.. I was leaning towards a smooth gaited quarter horse.. not a bouncy thoroughbred :/
Should a bouncy trot really deter me away from a horse? Maybe with tons of practice I could possibly manage a sitting trot.. and then bareback? *hopeful*
What do you think? :]

·
Registered
492 Posts
Could be just a matter of practise! I used to ride a horse with the world's bounciest canter and I could barely stay on at first but ended up adapting to it and sitting it really well. Same for my mare, she's a standardbred and when excited would sometimes pace; that is haaaard to sit when you're used to trotting! But it got to the stage where I could go from trot to pace in a blink without bumping once.

Is she offering the free lease to you? You could lease him for a few weeks and see how you go together before you commit to buying.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yeah, I guess with good practice it might seem like nothing in the future! :] I haven't tried his canter yet either... but watching my instructor ride his canter... it looks big! haha It is a huge workout just staying on at the trot with a saddle on, I can't imagine bareback. hehe.

No, but she is allowing me to ride him as much as I want. I go to the barn a couple times a week, and work and ride. I'm riding him tommorow, I think on a trail ride! :]

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Bonus is you can try him out and have lessons as much as possible whilst he's there.

HOWEVER, for height, age and price look for others in your area too and see how they compare.. don't settle for second best!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts