The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I went out to look at a gelding today, fell in love with his personality but his feet were a mess. The owner said that she is loosing her job so I'm assuming she hasn't been able to afford a trim. Here's his history:
He suffered a minor injury as a colt and then was turned out to pasture at the breeders, then her friend picked him up and gave him to her (she's a trainer.) Im was told they almost never touched his feet (or him) in the time that he was in that pasture. She provided x-rays and a vet check. He's sound and his x-rays show a positive palmar angle. Vet marks him as sound.

Going back to when I saw him today, he looks as though he has laminitis, his feet are overgrown and he has some grooves and slight dishing (because of the overgrowth) but he's 100% sound. Could this be from lack of proper and frequent trimming? Or is this just a laminitis case?
I've attached some photos below. I paid for him trusting her as she's known locally. She hasn't delivered him yet and I'm feeling a little duped... Wondering if I'm just being over concerned over nothing or if I should just get my money back while I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
So I went out to look at a gelding today, fell in love with his personality but his feet were a mess. The owner said that she is loosing her job so I'm assuming she hasn't been able to afford a trim. Here's his history:
He suffered a minor injury as a colt and then was turned out to pasture at the breeders, then her friend picked him up and gave him to her (she's a trainer.) Im was told they almost never touched his feet (or him) in the time that he was in that pasture. She provided x-rays and a vet check. He's sound and his x-rays show a positive palmar angle. Vet marks him as sound.
If the vet report also says possible coffin bone fracture. That would concern me more than anything.

Reading xrays are not my forte so I am not going to comment on that.

Going back to when I saw him today, he looks as though he has laminitis, his feet are overgrown and he has some grooves and slight dishing (because of the overgrowth) but he's 100% sound. Could this be from lack of proper and frequent trimming? Or is this just a laminitis case?

I paid for him trusting her as she's known locally. She hasn't delivered him yet and I'm feeling a little duped... Wondering if I'm just being over concerned over nothing or if I should just get my money back while I can.
I'm really confused why you bought the horse when you had reservations. According to what you've said, seller has seemed to be forthcoming and even provided you with vet report from last year.

Not sure how you feel duped. It is your responsibility to do your due diligence if you have any concerns.

Also, your definition of 100% sound may not be everyone's definiton of 100% sound. If you are not familiar with lameness, there may be things that you do not see, that a more experienced person would see.

Did you bring a trusted trainer or friend with you to look at the horse, to help you decide this?

Keep in mind that most horse sales are "as is". Be prepared if she says HE'S YOURS because you've already paid for him. She might also take him back, but if she's in financial hardship (like you say she is), she might not be in a position to do that.

Sorry to be a debbie downer.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Yes, feet like that can ABSOLUTELY be because of lack of trimming. They can also be because of a not so great farrier. I've seen both scenarios.

I personally think that these feet could be rehabilitated, but be prepared for costly corrective work.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
@loosie is probably the best person to have look at feet and comment on this.

Ditto on why you're feeling duped? Sounds like the person gave you the info they had and the radiographs and vet report. Not much more that they could have done. If you didn't trust that info, why did you not schedule your own PPE with a vet of your choosing? It's 100% up to the buyer to make sure they are getting what they're paying for and why people always say to get a PPE with a vet who is not the regular vet of the owner. I'm guessing since the horse hasn't been started, you didn't pay a whole lot, so in those situations you have to be prepared to eat the money if the horse turns out not to be what you're wanting.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you fell for a cute face and sweet attitude without finding out if he was actually going to be good for anything in the future. If she's in a tight spot, even if she normally would take him back, she may not be able to do so in this case. Horse sales are "as is and with all faults". Here's a typical clause from a sales contract:

"SELLER MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE HORSE, INCLUDING WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE PHYSICAL CONDITION, HEALTH, OR SOUNDNESS OF THE HORSE, OR WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS OF THE HORSE FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ALL OF WHICH WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED. THE PARTIES TO THIS AGREEMENT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE HORSE IS SOLD “AS IS” AND “WITH ALL FAULTS.” BUYER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HE HAS CONDUCTED SUCH INVESTIGATIONS AND INSPECTIONS, INCLUDING THE USE OF A QUALIFIED VETERINARIAN, AND IS SATISFIED WITH THE HORSE’S CONDITION."

·
Premium Member
23,903 Posts
Hi, I copied & pasted your xray pics into the thread - easier that way, as flickr etc can be a prob.

Firstly, yeah, sounds to me too like you weren't 'duped' at all, but that's not to say he hasn't got issues. If he was sound, why did she get his feet xrayed? And how sound? Is he sound barefoot? On hard ground? Sound doing various exercises, such as trotting circles? Etc, etc.

Yes, he could be laminitic, be that from bad/negligent hoofcare or otherwise. It appears he has long toes, high heels, bones low in the capsule, ossification of lateral cartilage (sidebone) in R. Non-articular ringbone on P2 in that foot and possible slight loss at the ground surface of the toe there BUT...

Unfortunately the xrays are seriously not great. All may be nothing like as bad as it seems from those. I'd have requested they be done again, if it were me getting them done. The angles are quite skewed, esp the R. It is taken more from in front than beside, but on an angle, and looks slightly from above/below too, rather than level. The other one seems to be taken squarely from the side, but from above/below, definitely. Therefore it's hard to say much at all with certainty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts