The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possibly,Maybe.I hope.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ThinkingOfRiding 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so. I MAY be getting a rescue horse.
Now. 1) Don't tell me NOT to get a rescue horse for the following reasons: "they are dangerous" "you aren't experienced enough" "waste of money"
or anything along those lines. If you're about to yell at me, click the back button now:)
Okay. For those of you still here. Hello.
I talked to my mom about getting a rescue horse and working with him/her over the summer. [The rescue horse being a graduation present for entering high school.] She said "we'll see." Which basically means "Do your research and make it happen" Haha. So my question to you is, Do you like this guy?

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/12223997

No I do not like him because he's "cheap" I like him because of the fact he has been worked undersaddle and i really like his coloring.
Does his conformation look okay?
Thanks for reading this :D

#2 ·
The photo doesn't show up for me...

Here are my thoughts on a rescue:
Some are genuinely nice horses that happen to have gotten into a bad situation; but generally even the "riding broke" horses need lots of work with an experienced handler. Please do not expect a horse in a rescue to come without its problems; problems bigger than what Jack was giving you. From our discussions under your original username, I would suggest looking for a well broke horse.
If you have a trainer to work with, that's fantastic... just please be aware.

#3 ·
i fixed it I believe.
Thank you for your concern! if i do get JD ^ i will make sure to "test ride" him and bring a "horsey" person with me to check him out. I don't think Jack was a very good match for me. He was very aggressive and very lazy.I don't know much about JD but I will found out if he is aggressive, barn sour, etc. I just felt that rescue horses would need work, yes, but I would develop a closer bond with them.
If that makes sense.
Thanks!!

#4 · (Edited)
Photo still not working for me...

**Oh wait, now it's working. Takes ages to load, though, and I know it's not my computer or my internet, definitely the page.
He's cute. I'm not a professional on conformation but nothing sticks out to me especially considering that you probably do not need a perfectly conformed horse.

#5 ·
Thats great that your getting a rescue horse! It is a HUGE responsibility though just remember that. He is a wonderful looking horse but I don't know much about conformation so can't judge that sorry!
good luck if you do get him! Maybe start a journal on here about him. I'd like to know how your progressing. :)

#6 ·
Thank you for the support!! I really do hope I can get him :D
My grandmother offered to pay board and I'm getting a job [Erg] to pay for food, and my parents are going to chip in for vetting! Im going to call my gran right now and talk about it :D
& I probably will keep a journal <3

#7 ·
That is wonderful that your grandmother and parents are supportive with your passion for horses. It is very exciting when thinking about a new horse.
I too urge you to look around when deciding on the perfect one for you. JD may be that horse and please do look at him , test ride him , ask all questions that you can possibly think of concerning this horse. Also look around , and take an experienced horse person with you that can tell you why you shouldnt buy a certain horse. Sometimes we want a horse so badly we see tunnel vision and cant see why a certain horse may not be good for us.
I love appys myself though, grew up taking lessons on a leopard appy, owned a young appy/quarter cross when I was just out of high school and my aunt has had a few appy foals :) I looked a few appys when I was thinking of getting back into horses too.

#9 ·
My Red is rescue. I think it's a great idea. But I agree with everyone else; take an experienced horse person, & keep in mind that rescues are a big responsibility. They can be fantastic, but that can take alot of working with.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
I don't like the description of the mare. That says to me that she really needs a firm, experienced rider. I don't know your history, but I think that JD might be a safer route. I didn't actually rescue my gelding, but he still has a lot of mental and possibly health issues. Working with anything with a murky past comes with lots of baggage, and needs lots of patience

#15 ·
I'm getting sick and tired of people saying NOT to get a rescue because I can't handle one. I know what I can and cannot handle and I'm going to have a trainer helping me. So please just back off of me okay!? l:
Sorry guys it wasn't to any of you just certain people on my Fb -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.